1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Heaviest Head???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

So what is the heaviest head ever made??? I'll toss my monster up there for starters....the Peavey Classic 400 @ 97 lbs (not including footswitch, cables, cover, etc, etc. Everytime I move it I say to myself "what a frickin beast"! Good news is that the handles on it are placed well and have rubber on them which helps, but at 97 lbs....ooooffffaaaa!

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    try sticking it in an anvil road case.... it took them a week to drop back down after the first time I pulled the head & case out of my car's trunk :eek:

I'm guessing it at 125 lbs easy!

3. Quadzilla

Eiiiisshhh!!! :eek::bawl: :p :D

4. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    If we are talking purely weight of the head, not all the "fluffy" stuff like covers, rackmounts, cases, ect. Then I have any head beat...

The Phil Jones Bass T-500. Weighing in at a whopping 110 lbs.

With a whopping pricetag that totals in at $10,000. Or about 20x more than a Classic 400.

5. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    My Ampeg SVT-2 Pro is 70+ lbs.

It will get tossed into a shockmounted road ready 10 space rack where it will add about 120 lbs. to it.

Did someone say coasters? hehe

6. Quadzilla

I'm still amazed everytime I pick up my SKB 5 U roller rack with a Furman PL-Plus, a rack Nady Wireless unit, a Korg DTR-1000 tuner and a Aguilar AG500 head in it. All of that gear and about 40 lbs total.

Still love the tone of the Classic 400. Nothing beats tube tone!!!!

7. My 400PS is 107 lbs. Those extra 3 lbs of Phil Jones cost $3200 per pound more than I paid for it. :D

8. Quadzilla

400PS?

9. Standard SVT's are fairly heafty

My SVT-II is about 80lbs IIRC, and its away to get stuck in a newer heavier duty ATA case, bah!

10. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Damn, I didn't know the 400PS was 107lbs! That's a-lotta iron...

Any of my SVT's in the old calzone case is about 130-ish, I'm guessing.

11. I'm wondering what a Trace V8 weighs? My Mesa is fairly light by tube standards, but in a rack it gets pretty heavy.

12. It's a monster bass/guitar amp Fender put out in the 70': 435+ tube watts but with three separate outputs.

13. Quadzilla

Ah ha!! Got a pic?

14. No; I need a digital camera so you guys can see some of my more odd stuff. My 400PS is torn down right now. I'm thinking of sending it to this guy to get it restored and some cool cosmetics done to it.

15. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD

Ahh, just don't let him put any 'polished turds' in it! :D

16. I remember seeing a pic ages ago, im sure it was a fender amp that had literally melted the glass over the getter , would that have been the same type of amp by any chance?

17. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Yup - http://www.timeelect.com/6550a-ex.htm

18. My Svt Classic is pretty Heavy!!! specially at 4 a.m. after a gig when you have to unload the equipment!!! But you can't beat the sound!!