1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HEELYS

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Anybody got em?

I bought a pair, tried them for about a half an hour, nearly killed myself - I'm determined, but I don't have the time right now.

If ya got em, how long did it take to get used to them, and how do I get over all those little kids making me look like an idiot because they don't seem to have any problems at all.

If ya don't know what I'm talking about I'm talking about this www.heelys.com .

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    lol @ gimmicks

3. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I think my 11 year old nephew would be able to teach you how to work em.

4. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Dude?!?!?!?! Do you work for a hospital? Are you trying to drum up some business?

Heelies would surely be the end on my ability to walk on a daily basis. Broken pelvis here I come!!!!

5. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    How old are you? :eyebrow:

(Every day I walk down the hill to my car I wish I had a pair, but I don't think it can be pulled off after 14 or so)

6. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I'M DETERMINED!!!! It's my hallway for practice till the weather gets nice again.

And when I think how old I actually am, I get scared - for real - of everything :) . So I just keep living like I'm a kid. It's werkin well for me like that.

These things might be awesome on stage, if I can get the hang of them like a 10 yr. old. Surprised nobody's jumped in yet who has a pair.

7. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    I heard that heelys are pretty dangerous and bad for the ankles. Don't remember the source, so don't quote me on it. I'd rather just use a skateboard. I KNOW they can be dangerous so I have no false illusions.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I want some, but they all look like skater shoes.

Put a wheel in the heels of a pair of Sambas, and I'm in.

9. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    I really want a pair, since I hate walking. :meh:

10. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Haha. My friend works a Heely's booth at the mall and said that once there was a mother who was going to buy them for all 3 or 4 of her kids, but then some kid was heely-ing by the booth and fell flat on his face. Whats worse is that somehow it errupted into a violent argument about family values between my friend and the mother.
    Heelys are awesomely stupid.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Tend to agree with the last sentiments - I've seen a few little kids maybe 11-12 years old, doing it when I've been browsing in record/DVD shops.

It was very irritating - but that seemed to be the point and as I am pretty big and heavy I was sorely tempted to stick out an elbow and bring down a particularly smug-looking kid - but I resisted!

The worst thing about it seems to be that they only do it in cramped public shopping spaces - not outside - and with the sole intent of generating a response from people trying to go about their day-to-day business...:spit:

12. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    You guys are motivating me even more. :) Thanks!

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

We'll have to call you :

Joe Asbo !!! :p

grin466l.

14. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I've seen a lot of kids on them and in general I don't think they enjoy them because they like annoying people in public places. It seems like most of the time they enjoy them simply because they're a fun novelty and, being kids, they're just don't think about whether they're making a nuisance of themselves.

In general it seems that the exceptions are the trouble makers and attention seekers who are the going out of their way to "get in people's faces" with them. But then again they're the ones who would exploit ANY opportunity to get a rise out of people. Unfortunately we do have a large group of these 12-15 year olds in our neighborhood and Heely's are the least of the problems we've had from them.

My son hasn't asked for a pair so we haven't bought them yet. Not sure what I'd do if he asks.

15. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    i want some

16. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I'd like to try some, but I doubt that I can get them in a 13 :scowl:

17. Chris M

Chris M

Oct 23, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    My 7 year old has a pair and she loves them, but then again.. She's also 7.

She doesn't use them to annoy people or anything just digs being able to glide around.. She also understands the rules. The wheels come out when she's at school and, if she does get into trouble with them, it's back to regular shoes before she can bat an eye.

She's fallen a couple of times, but she's actually pretty good on them. I don't think I've ever seen anyone older than 11 wearing them though..

18. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I really want some!
    They're cool

19. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    My 4 year old nephew has a pair. The kid never takes them off. If you try to make hime wear other shoes he just freaks out. It's kind of funny.

If my 4 year old nephew can do it, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it soon.

20. i want a pair so bad,
    XD