1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hellfire! I wish I was Adam Clayton.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by chuck norriss, Jan 7, 2012.

1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Or as Cat calls him, the U2 grandpa. You kidding me? His life does not suck.
    And I understand clearly he isn't Manring or Nitti or Pastorius but he's had some nice moments in bassline history that are good enough. I wouldn't say he's all-hat, no cattle.

Zoo Station--listen to the chorus
    Heartland--subtle, hardly there & simple as pie but I love it
    New Year's Day
    Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World
    Man & a Woman
    Moment of Surrender
    Seconds
    Sunday Bloody Sunday

All good songs. The Stones' "Satisfaction" is essentially a three-note song so don't fuss over quantity of notes in a melody.

2. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    And I'd wager that he has bagged more models than Michael Manring! That has to count for something.

3. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    Deep down he knows he sucks

4. He is doing what most of us aspire to, but few of us achieve.
    He is doing what he loves and is getting paid the big, or should I say, the huge bucks to do it.
    Irrespective of his level of talent, he is playing exactly what U2 requires. God bless'm, the lucky bloke.

5. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I have a sneaking suspicion that grandpa could whoop our asses if he had to.

6. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    "irrespective to his level of talent"

You said it all right there,Bub

7. jbednarski

jbednarski

May 31, 2010
    Chicago area
    +1

8. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Possibly the top-paid eighth-note player in the world.....

9. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I just heard an old U2 song I used to listen to all the time, "Two Hearts Beat As One". His tone and playing on that, and alot of other old stuff, was way "in your face" compared to what he's done for the last 15 years or so.

10. CrashCarlisle

CrashCarlisle

Sep 13, 2011
    What the hell's wrong with Adam Clayton? I love his bass lines.

11. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    U2 is a sonic puzzle. None of these guys are traditional in their space and the bass fits the slot very well. Not every bassist can survive in a 3 piece pop unit. There's nowhere to hide.

12. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    They serve the songs well. Not overly flashy. Pretty straightforward, actually. I think I read an interview somewhere where AC acknowledged that his technical talent was pretty meat-and-potatoes. Then he said (to paraphrase), "But I AM the bass player for U2." And that pretty much summarizes the situation.

13. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I don't really like U2 , but I think Mr Clayton plays exactly what the songs need.
    He has my respect, people who are going to bash are probably just jealous.
    Real musicians respect other musicians.

14. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    that's funny. Reminds me of Letterman's old line: "I'm David Letterman and you're not."

15. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    Adam Clayton is a great bassist. I don't remember ever hearing a U2 song and thinking "Hey, this song is ok, but do you know what would *really* push it over the top? A BASS SOLO!".

P.S. I usually don't subscribe to the "Band A is good because they sell millions of records and play to sell out crowds every night" line of thinking; when a band has been doing it for 30 years, however, they are probably onto something.

16. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    +1000 This. Heck, Edge is a fairly 1-dimensional player too(OK, maybe 2 . . .). But as a band they created a sound and vibe and it just works. Plus as I understand it Clayton is an "idea guy" in the studio and brings a lot of conceptual things to the process. Far more important than being able to shred if you ask me.

17. Really? Did he steal that from Chevy Chase? That was always what he used to say in the old fake news on SNL.

18. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX

Being able to perform great fretboard gymnastics doesn't make you a great musician. It makes you a great gymnast.

I must be bored to get sucked into a thread like this.:oops:

19. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX

+1

20. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Yes, that's Chevy's line. Dave copped it obviously.