1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hello from Steve

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by steveo9, Apr 10, 2006.

1. steveo9

steveo9

Apr 9, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    Hello All, I'm Steve, 52 years young and have been playing bass on and off, semi-pro since I was about 12 years young, (Jeez...you don't get that for murder round here!!!). I started back then on a spanish guitar with the top two strings missing, picking out Arvel Shaw runs (my dad was a Louis Armstrong nut) and I have never looked back. I remember getting my first bass guitar soon after, a "futurama" ( it cost ten quid from the local swap shop) and plugging it into our stereogram at home and - well, you can imagine what happened. Over the years I've played most styles of music, both busking and reading them, but jazz has always been "it" for me, so double bass is probably my instrument of choice these days but I must say my trusty old precision has put food on the table on more than one occasion. It's great to see a site like this, especially for the guys and gals starting off, where a bit of guidance in the early days can save a lot of grief later on particularly with left hand fingering technique. Well, I'll sign off for now but I think I'll stick around for a while, it seems like my kind of site,
    cheers, Steve

2. Hi Steve. I'm another newbie here, also in the "above 40" crowd. Given your background and enduring interests, i'm curious about your response to the upright "Barker Bass" (www.barkerbass.com). I started my first two months of bass with an instructor to avoid pitfalls. Only then did I decide to move into self-directed study. Having started and continued with an instrument before age 30, and now again (different instrument, J-bass - the best fit in my life thus far) after age 40, i'm curious about the differences. The selection of (often free) instruction on the web blows my mind. See you around. -Vince

3. steveo9

steveo9

Apr 9, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    Hi Vince, re Barker Bass, I think they're an extremely expensive, flash piece of kit for people with too much money to spare. IMHO there's no sound from these instruments that could'nt be got from a decent bass guitar or double bass that was set up and played properly and wouldn't cost anywhere near as much.

4. Interesting. Thanks, Steve. -v