1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help a newb?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TEKKY, Sep 11, 2008.

1. TEKKY

TEKKY

Sep 11, 2008
    Just obtained a 5-string bass. Not sure of the brand. The headstock doesn't look familiar. Can anyone help me identify?

Neck-thru 5-string bass with a soap-bar Bartolini bridge pickup and a Bartolini P pickup. Wilkinson 5-string bridge with only the low B through the bridge/body. (the rest of the strings are set into the bridge, the ferrule for the B string seems original or a pro after-market job) The tuners are a set of non-locking sperzels.

tbass1.
    tbass2.

I understand that all of these components could be after-market, but I'm fishin' for info...

2. TEKKY

TEKKY

Sep 11, 2008
    Bump?

3. LP75

LP75

Aug 29, 2006
    Seattle
    It doesn't look familiar. By the pickup arrangement I would guess that this is a one-off made or modified by a player.

4. TEKKY

TEKKY

Sep 11, 2008
    I'm kinda thinking that as well, anyone recognize the headstock? If I at least get the brand, I can start somewhere.

5. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    No markings of any kind? Did you check the control cavity? I doubt you will find anything, but you never know.

6. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I don't think it has enough knobs and switches. I never even look at basses with less than 12 total.:D

Seriously...I have no idea what that is, but just out of curiosity what do all the controls do?

7. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Interesting looking bass. Seems pretty solid, does it play well? Lots of nice components to it.

One question about the bridge where the string anchors are - do they have posts to hold the string as well as the two fingers?

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Interesting - I hope somebody knows what it is. It's certainly doesn't look like anything I'm familiar with.

9. TEKKY

TEKKY

Sep 11, 2008
    I'm ashamed to admit this, but I'm a guitar player that picked up my 3rd bass. (one Jackson Concert V and a Charvel CHS-4 - I hope i'm not considered an infidel now) I don't even have a bass amp yet. (I know... much shame but that's my next priority after figuring out what this thing is)

I like my guitars simple. I'm guessing with all the knobs and switches I should be able to get basic cable.

:D

10. TEKKY

TEKKY

Sep 11, 2008
    It feels pretty good. I don't normally go for neck-thru instruments (I only have one other a Jackson Soloist) but as far as I know from my teching experience this is a pretty good instrument.

The bridge has prongs coming out of the side of the back of the saddle to hold the strings by the balls. (huh huh, I said "by the balls") The low B can be strung on top as well as through the body.

11. sasquatchofohio

sasquatchofohio

Apr 12, 2008
  12. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Can you get a closer picture of the inlay just behind the nut?

13. TEKKY

TEKKY

Sep 11, 2008
    That isn't inlay. It's a tuss rod cover made of abalone or abalone-ish material.

14. TEKKY

TEKKY

Sep 11, 2008
    Sorry to bump, but I've been getting nowhere with this...

15. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Is that the imput jack on the back of the body?

16. Ozonbass

Ozonbass Gold Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Chicago

I'm thinking that's the E string.

17. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Wow - I have never seen a bass with those squared-off horn ends and that particular headstock shape. I'm thinking it's a one-off custom, probably built from a premade neck and wing blanks. Carvin sells a 5-string neck-thru neck much like that, but the top of the headstock is angled the other way.

18. TEKKY

TEKKY

Sep 11, 2008
    Actually, low B. The jack is on the side of the bass almost parallel to the 3rd mini toggle.