1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help about truss rod on Yamaha

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bass nitro, Aug 26, 2012.

1. bass nitro

bass nitro

Feb 21, 2011
    BG,SZ
    Hi there,last night i took my bass and i did heard some "knocking" sound inside upper site of the neck - obviously is a loosed truss rod ( i hope so ).I did try tightness on it and everything was ok - tight enough,neck is straight but when shake it up this morning this knock is still there.I presume that my truss rod itself might be divided in two halves ( i do not know if Yamaha do their basses this way ) and some how upper part was loosen or something bad was happening somehow ? I have not adjusted truss rod since year may be and that is the strange part.I will appreciate any advise from Yamaha owners and everyone who might help me.Thank you

2. iovar

iovar

May 7, 2011
    Chania, Crete
    There is a Limited Lifetime Warranty for US residents
    http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Documents/Guitars/guitarwarranty.pdf
    and a 2 year guarantee for most of Europe
    http://europe.yamaha.com/warranty/yamaha_eea_ch_guarantee.pdf?warranty=English.
    Depending on where you are you may have one of these, or some other options.

If any kind of guarantee covers you, use it. Otherwise, if its an expensive bass, visit a luthier, if not start searching for a new one...

Also make sure the sound is coming from the neck and not from the pot cavity or some lose/faulty tuner (but if you are covered by a guarantee don't do any disassembling to locate the knocking sound).

To answer more directly, Yamaha or otherwise, a knocking sound is (very) bad news.

3. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    So if it were my bass:

I'd take the strings off and then take the truss nut off completely. Then I'd grip the end of the rod (with needle nose pliers, or something) and see if it can wiggle or shake around. Also, as was suggested, I'd check all the tuner hardware. I might even take the neck off and shake the heck out of it to see if I can get the rattling that way.

Ultimately if it's the truss, you might be hosed -- depending on the model, echoing what iovar said, unless it's high end, a repair wouldn't be worth it.

But if you can tighten the truss, and it lets you set the neck in a good position, it would seem really really strange to me for there to be something wrong with the truss.

What's the model? You should be able to get a quick answer from Yamaha on what type of truss rod is in the neck.

Post back what you find. Good luck!
    ltt

4. bass nitro

bass nitro

Feb 21, 2011
    BG,SZ
    Hi,there.I did use scotch tape and have sticked all tuners and tightened truss rod as well but only a little.Good news is that knock is gone now .That was an good idea about take it out for some inspection but i only managed to unscrewed some nut and i did find out that there was an washer covered threaded part of the truss rod .. i stuck.So if need next time to take it out i have to find some way to move this little bastard.I should give the bass to luthier next time if this occurred again.My bass is BB-shape very old one i think it was made about 81-82 maybe earlier ... do not know for sure but i love it too much.:)
    Thanks to everyone for advises.

5. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Woops, looks like you beat my post OP... :)

+1. Knock on it with your knuckles too. Also, keep track of how many turns it takes to remove the adjustment nut (assuming it's removable) and mark where the nut was, that way you can restore it to its original position without having to play with the setup.

With any luck it isn't a loose truss rod.

Also, when gripping the rod with pliers like lethargy recommended, be very careful not to damage the rod's threads. Make sure you try to push the rod away from you (toward the neck heel) and pull it towards you (toward the headstock), it's possible that the anchor nut at the other end has compressed the wood enough to allow the rod some movement in that direction. If this is the case, it can be a slightly easier fix, possibly one you could do yourself.

Do you hear the rattling through the amp when you play the bass? Does is create dead notes or other undesirable effects?

6. bass nitro

bass nitro

Feb 21, 2011
    BG,SZ
    No I never heard something like this through my amps,it got one or two dead "spots" due to "best" fretworks done on it last time.Thank you

7. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Ouch, sorry to hear about the fretwork...

Even though you eliminated the knocking, you still might want to take the bass to a good tech or luthier, just in case the rattling problem is something that can get worse over time.

8. bass nitro

bass nitro

Feb 21, 2011
    BG,SZ
    You are right - I will.Thank you.Little off-topic,sorry about but Would you be so kind to share any sound samples or better some videos so that i would hear and see these Xylem basses?It is weird i know :) but these boutique-guitars are very uncommon in my country.Thank you

9. bass nitro

bass nitro

Feb 21, 2011
    BG,SZ
    Sorry, i saw just now that there are few samples on your site.:rolleyes: