1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help an amp noob

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adcooper, May 8, 2010.

1. adcooper

adcooper

May 24, 2009
    Hi there

At the moment i am trying to upgrade my bass rig. Due to limited funds i am looking at a second hand SWR workingman 4x10 cab rated at 400 watts 8ohms. I am looking to power it with a second hand Ashdown MAG 300H which is rated at 307 Watts 4ohms.

Will this setup work or will i be damaging something. Before everyone links me to the FAQ I did read it but o be honest i did not understand.

Thank you for your time.

2. Catdaddy

Catdaddy

Jun 18, 2009
    Chicago area
    The amp experts should be on this pretty quik, but here's my take: You'll be just fine. The thing that damages amps is if you go below four OHMS (unless the amp is rated for two, which most are not). With that head you could use two 8 OHM cabs for a total of 4 OHMS that the amp would be seeing. With just one 8 OHM bottom, the amp will be putting out somewhat less than full wattage, but the effect on actual volume will be minimal, especially with 4 10's. Hope this helps--good luck!:)

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yup, no problems at all, and as stated, you could add a 2nd 8 ohm cab later.

4. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Listen to this man.

5. adcooper

adcooper

May 24, 2009
    Thanks for your help.