1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Help Build My Recording Chain

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MycooLeeyun, Mar 19, 2018.

1. MycooLeeyun

MycooLeeyun Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm currently running my bass into a Radial J48 > Daking Mic Pre One > WA76 compressor > Apogee Duet 2 > Logic Pro X .

I really want to add a bass preamp to my chain so I can do some EQ going in. What do you guys recommend and where would it go in the chain?

I was thinking about an Aguilar TH, Tech21 Q/Strip, or something along those lines.

Thank you!

2. Currently your Daking is handling preamp duties, and probably quite nicely. In all honesty, I'd probably just skip the J48 and use the built in Di on your existing preamp, but thats a different question.

Using a bass specific preamp would work, but is not the most direct path to adding EQ. Your best bet would be to add a bespoke EQ either before or after your compressor. If you like the Warm Audio gear, they offer a Pultec style EQ that would probably pair quite nicely with your WA76, but any EQ that you like would do. This approach would allow you to use the same signal chain for vocals, mic'd cabinets and other signals.

If you're set on a bass specific preamp, then absolutely get one that you love the sound of - most of them have DI outs that you could run into your Daking, or line outs that you could run directly into your WA76.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    saabfender likes this.
  3. db9091

db9091

Mar 8, 2017
    If you could stuff a WA2A after your WA76 you'd have a lovely sound! I like those 2 compressors in tandem. The 76 doesn't really add sound, just tame the boomy peaks. But the 2A can add character (if you like that, many do)

I use a BAE 1073 DMP instead of a Daking for it's Bootsy DI.

MycooLeeyun likes this.
  4. MycooLeeyun

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I can't really afford to have 2 compressors at the moment. I'm trying to build a chain that can kinda do it all (vocals, bass, acoustic guitar, electric guitar). I'm thinking a nice tube EQ would be a good addition at this point.

5. db9091

db9091

Mar 8, 2017
    If I had just one compressor for Vocals and Bass, it would be a 2A optical. Just love what it does to smooth out a performance and it adds character. Classical or Vintage as they say.

The 76 is more a business comp to me, but it can be pushed to give some character. Problem is, you're not supposed to limit much, so you have to be careful on vocals.

I'm not a fan of EQ before going to "tape". I'd rather carve when I know how it sits in the mix. Carving early takes options away. Its tough to EQ solo takes since you can't take the measure of it in a track unless you're adding it later in the process.

MycooLeeyun likes this.
  6. MycooLeeyun

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for that input. I'm going to look into a different compressor. I actually don't entirely love the WA76.

7. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    It all depends on what sound you seek. If you know what the end product you want to achieve is, you'll be able to identify what tool to add into your chain. I often go direct into the interface and make all the EQ, and FX adjustments in the DAW. I found It's a lot easier to make adjustments in the DAW, with less elements in the chain. For me, the more things in the chain, it was more difficult to make adjustments to the track because there was so many thing that needed to be set right from the start. But that's just my approach, others use various elements in their chain with great success.

8. You already have a very very good chain!

I have a similar set-up:
    Neve RNDI DI box
    Warm Audio Tonebeast as a preamp
    Warm Audio WA-76
    Warm Audio EQP Pultec Clone
    SPL Crimson audio-interface

I consider the WA76 to be the most important piece of gear in the chain, a mic-preamp is just a necessity.
    My chain and the experience with the tonebeast just led me to the conclusion to NOT use a bass preamp.
    There is a reason that most studios use mic-preamps (API or NEVE style) and board-EQs instead of dedicated bass preamps.
    Maybe you should write more about the goal you want to archieve.

After buying the WA76 and the mic-pre for the first time I thought I sound "like a pro"...
    I will test the new Neve-clones from Warm Audio (there is one version with integrated EQ). I hope it is not so good that I feel tempted to buy it...

9. MycooLeeyun

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    What kind of settings do you use on the 76 for recording bass DI?

10. Ratio 8 or 12
    Attack 7
    Release 10
    But it depends a lot on the playing technique. The WA76 is always fast, even if you choose the "slowest" attack.
    Although I have a good preamp in front of it, I drive the input transformator a bit.
    Now that made me think again that I never really used the "all buttons in" mode that works with the WA76 just as with the original 1176, will try it tomorrow...

11. MycooLeeyun

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oh I've never used the ratio that high. I was always under the impression that 4:1 is ideal for bass. I'll have to try some other settings out.

12. dexter3d

dexter3d

Jul 4, 2005
    Lithuania
    I'd consider a better converter. In my experience, professional rack converters sound perceptibly better than 'economy', PC powered stuff like the Duet. I've recently compared RME Babyface A/D with Apogee Rosetta (connected to the same Babyface via ADAT). The difference is real. The sound through Rosetta is much more 'organic'.

13. MycooLeeyun

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Would a converter replace my interface or would it just go through the converter and then into my interface?

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021