1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help! burning smell from my mesa bb750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rycebag, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Rycebag

Rycebag Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    So i just turned my amp on at pratice and started smelling a burning smell and it started to get really bad and noticed it was coming from my amp. When i looked in it something was red hot by the fans. So i turned it off and opened it up and it looks like there is a burnt fuse or something at the back of the amp. Perfect timing as i have 5 shows this coming weekend. So should i just take it to the mesa dealer where i bought it? This is the first problem ive had with it and i still have 3 years left on he warrany. What to do?

2. BillJarrett

BillJarrett

Jul 25, 2010
    Jensen Beach, Florida
    Manager, Jam Music
    check fuse? blown fuse? replace fuse... if problem persists, then have it checked out.

3. fuses are supposed to shut down the unit to limit further damage or injury.....if you have warranty,of course use it.....and at least know if you need a loaner to cover your gigs....could be simply a seized up fan motor,or a bad power cord connection,but if you start playing with it yourself your warranty goes bye-bye.....

4. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    Yeah i didnt touch any thing in it. Its actually one of the black ones that are on the back of the board that is toasted.

5. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    Sorry its not a fuse

6. levis76

levis76 Defender of the Low Ender

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Only the tubes should get hot to the point where there is something glowing. They have heaters in them that give off an orange glow. If it wasn't a tube glowing, then you need to send her home to Mesa and let them sort it out.

7. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Tech time.

8. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    Yup looks like it might be going back to petaluma. I dropped of at the dealer and they said the owner has to look at it tomorrow and more than likely they have to ship it out. I asked them how mesa is with loaner amps and they said they would check with them.

9. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    So i got my amp back today and basically the owner told me that he could smell something charred but found nothing wrong with it and said it was fine when he left it on for 2 hours and then played through it. We'll just have to see what happens after 5 shows this weekend.:confused:

10. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Bring a backup...

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021