Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Decide Bass! Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RevengeIseek, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Ok, I believe I am going to put a bass on hold this week. Right now I am leanng toward a new euro LX. But I was also considering a Used Warwick Thumb. I have played the spector a thought it felt and sounded amazing. Does anyone have any other reccomendations for me to try to get out and try. Or any Input on the Spector.

P.S.- Just started thinking about a NSCRFM 4 String

Thanks
    Kevin

2. Spector...the thumb looks funny. :eyebrow:

3. I vote Spector, but only because I always vote Spector. :smug:

I don't think you'll be disappointed either way.

4. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Is the thumb bolt on, or neck-thru? I played both (for the first time today) and I've played a EuroLX...and the Thumbs come out on top completely -- sound and playability. There's no question that Warwicks have big necks, but I think that factor is often exaggerated (and I know I have in the past) and the Spectors I've played were generally big clunkers in the neck department -- definitely bigger and rounder than the Warwicks I've played. For that matter, the sound of a Warwick...well, damn. It's beautiful, dude. Just beautiful. Check out the Thumb, ASAP.

6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Get the original, Spector. A Spector is a Warwicks wet dream. The new LX's are really nice.

7. deichman

deichman

Jun 1, 2003
    Kansas
    It always comes down to personal preference. I would personally choose a Spector over the Warwick. Wait..................... I did choose Spector :hyper: over Warwicks, :scowl: twice!

deichman

www.endofstory.com

8. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Spector. Period. Of course, it is personal preference. :) I don't think the neck is clunky, but Thumb's have a small neck comparitively. The new Euro LX is really fantastic, that is the route I'd go. I'd get one myself if I didn't already have an old US model and an early Czech model.

9. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I can't think of a single reason why anyone would chose Warwick over Spector. I've played some really nice Warwicks, but they're only about even with the worst Spectors I've played.

10. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I am sooooooo LOVING that quote...! ;) :D

But seriously.... I've played both Spectors and Warwicks and though an old thru-neck Thumb was a particularly tasty bass I hated the bolt on version....

However, for me the Spector EuroLX and NSCRFM come out on top EVERY time.... :bassist:

Make that another vote for the Spector! :hyper: :smug:

11. Kurt Hans

Kurt Hans

Mar 17, 2005
    Seattle
    I used to own an ns4crfm, and I currently play a warwick streamer lx. both of these basses are absolutley great, but I personally prefer the warwick. It has alot more bottom end than the spector, and the sound is much more distinct. this is just my opinion, but I think the streamer looks alot cooler than the ns. I've never cared for the look of the spector "crown" inlays, or the huge brass bridge.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    There only ever is one answer in a "Spector vs." thread. Unless it's Spector vs. Dingwall. Then my head explodes.

13. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Not to be too picky but....it's a 'Thumb' or a Spector he's interested in....

14. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    "remember that movie scanners when that dudes head explodes"

15. Kurt Hans

Kurt Hans

Mar 17, 2005
    Seattle
    Ya got me Cetera! Maybe the lad should consider a Streamer. It's the best of both worlds. He'd get the classic NS shape, the distinct Warwick growl, without the obnoxious crown inlays or giant bridge.

16. WesW

WesW <>< Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    Yup - Spector!

:)

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Of course, we may be biased.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    "I think I handled it pretty well, but I think you should tell me when you're going to run out like that."