Help Deciding on a Short Scale Backup Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jackajesusfreak, Mar 10, 2010.

1. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    I have a Hofner CT. I will only play short scale. I'm looking for a backup short scale bass guitar and my budget limit is $200.00. Now I do not have a problem finding one that I like, my problem is I've found 3 that I'm looking at and trying to decide on. I'd like to get some input.

Ibanez GARTB

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GARTB20-Gio-GARTB-Electric-Bass-Guitar-423064-i1480506.gc

Dean EVO XM

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-EVO-XM-Bass-512903-i1171991.gc

Epiphone EB-0

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-EB-0-Electric-Bass-100375831-i1150056.gc?mode=1

2. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    I would probably lean towards the Ibanez. I played its predecessor and it sounded pretty good and was easy to play. No comment on the Dean as I have not played one but I have heard they are decent. I did not like the Epiphone at all. For me the neck was horrible to play on and I wasn't crazy about the sound. Have you been able to try any of them?

3. I would try to find a good price on a used EB3 instead of the EBO, IMO.

4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Epi EB-3 is 34" scale

5. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    Unfortunately not, Guitar Center does not have any of these in stock.

6. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    Correct. I like the looks of the EB3 but it is 34". :crying:

7. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    By the way, if anyone is interested in a brand new Hofner CT, I have a blue one for sale in the classified section. Sweet deal.

8. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    I've pretty much made up my mind to go with either the Ibanez or Dean. My next question is, where can one get a reasonably priced hard case that will fit these?

Jack

9. Jack - have you played a Mikro? If so, in what ways did you prefer the GARTB?

I'm looking at getting a Mikro or a GARTB after giving a few tries of an EB-0 and Gretsch short scale. Of course, either of these Ibanez short scale basses are hard to find in stores...but those are the last two on my short list.

Ibanez has a case recommended for the GARTB on their website...doesn't look particularly special though.

Good luck and playing!

10. EB-0!

11. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    What about the Cort Action Jr.? Some TB-ers are very enthusiastic about this bass, it looks really sharp in the walnut finish, and can be had new for around $200.

Retrotown_CortActionJr_WS.jpg

12. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    Well I pulled the trigger on the Ibanez GARTB. As far as the Court Jr, I never cared for the body style of the Fender type shape. I like the violin or Les Paul shapes. I haven't played the Ibanez outside checking it out upon arrival. I'm waiting on La Bella flats and the case to be shipped from back order. But, upon initial look, it appears to be just what I was looking for.
    Jack

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021