1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help detecting this Japanese bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by imme9x, Dec 11, 2018.

1. imme9x

imme9x

Jun 3, 2010
    I got this one from my friend, and after bit long time Googling , i think this is the Japanese copy bass ( having the Burns logo but but i think it was bit modified )

bass _1.
    bass _2. bass _3 .
    bass 4 .

GrooverMcTube, bobyoung53 and Qlanq like this.
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

*my bass sense is tingling

I can definitely detect it.

Reedt2000, EVerderame and Wisebass like this.
  3. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    :D

PositiveThirdIvorygull-max-1mb.

Gotcha!:laugh:

Wise(b)ass

4. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I detect it’s one of those awful catalog guitars that was sold to parents who weren’t sure their kid would “stick with it”.

jamro217, LBS-bass and imme9x like this.
  5. imme9x

imme9x

Jun 3, 2010
    hmm..

6. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    It's awesome! One of the "non-reverse" Thunderbird referenced designs from late 60's Japan. Same tuners were on many basses of many different badges then.

Reedt2000, imme9x and bobyoung53 like this.
  7. Pretty cool, throw some strings on it. set it up and see how it sounds and plays, looks like a non reverse Thunderbird.

imme9x likes this.
  8. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    Its obviously a Burns, which is a London based guitar company. They made the Brian May Red Special copies. I would imagine this must be a Japanese made licensed Thunderbird inspired copy

imme9x likes this.
  9. imme9x

imme9x

Jun 3, 2010
    Yeah first i though it was Burns but seem like the previous owner has modified it to be *Burns* :D i'm not sure if Burns made this kind of bass ~ non-reverse Thunderbird...also the pickup position is quite weird :D

10. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    The Burns brand produced in Japan in the 1960s had nothing whatsoever to do with Mr Jim Burns of London or his illustrious company. This 'Bird was, perchance, made by Tombo, and seems a pretty rare specimen for what it is.

Another logo was used on "Burns" violin basses:

7565928burnslogo.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Reedt2000 and imme9x like this.
  11. imme9x

imme9x

Jun 3, 2010
    Never seen kind of brand name before, Googling about Burns Japanese instrument or Burns bass mostly returned the info of Jim Burns London instead of this Japanese thing. Thanks a lot for your info. Looks like it's really cool stuff

12. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    Youre right, could just be a glue job

13. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    imme9x likes this.
  14. imme9x

imme9x

Jun 3, 2010
    This is really helpful information. I looked over the logo on these auctions and see they're same with this bass, so maybe this is not *glue* work :hyper::hyper::hyper:

15. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    Yeah, I think it’s legit. A quick search for Burns, Japanese-made, and guitar or bass *in Japanese* shows a pile of instruments with that logo and the other one cdef posted dating to the early 60’s. Some have Teisco on the neck plate, some don’t. That’s all I can tell for sure.

It also seems like in Japan, the British Burns company is referred to as “Burns London"

16. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    I happen to be playing tonight with a guy who’s a real expert on Japanese guitars, he said it’s true, that the guitars were made in agreement with Burns, to be sold in Japan. Ones made by Matsumoko had a smaller neck plate, ones made later by Fujigen had a neck plate more like a typical Fender size. You’ve got an early 60’s Matsumoko made Burns, if I understood right.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    imme9x likes this.
  17. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Neat bass! Curious how it sounds. It does look "Burns - y" with that divided pickguard so a Japanese licensed Burns bass seems like a very plausible possibility. I owned a Burns Scorpion some time ago and that was a pretty heavy awkward bass, how heavy is this one?

imme9x likes this.
  18. imme9x

imme9x

Jun 3, 2010
    That's awesome. i think this one like Matsumoko since the neck is quite smaller than the fender size. Could be the early 60s Matsumoko Burns

Brent Nussey likes this.
  19. imme9x

imme9x

Jun 3, 2010
    It's around 11 lbs i guess.... pretty heavy bass

Maxdusty likes this.