Help! Fender bassman 500 losing volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by angelopbass, Sep 22, 2016.

1. angelopbass

angelopbass Supporting Member

May 18, 2011
    struthers, ohio
    So I've had my fender bassman 500 head for about 6 months now. (Purchased new) I was practicing with my band last night and suddenly about 45 minutes or so in to playing, my volume cut in about half! Never had any issues like this before. I turned the amp off for a minute and then fired it back up and all was fine for the next 20 minutes or so of practice. Could this be a tube issue? I know it's under warranty but I don't know any local places that I can't take it to get serviced. And I'm fine with replacing tubes if need be. Any educated opinions? I haven't really heard of anyone having issues with these amps so I'm curious what I can find out from my fellow tb'ers.

2. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Is this what happened?

500 Manual.jpg

3. If you open it up and try to fix it yourself, will that void the warrantee?
    It's highly unlikely that anyone here can really offer a definitive solution without guessing.
    I recommend you call Fender and arrange to get it fixed.
    One, non-invasive thing you can do first is check what the manual says about air flow around the unit and be sure you are following their advice. It sounds thermal, that's my guess.

Linnin likes this.
  4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yeah, I'm sure you're right. Tech Time. Get it to a Fender Authorized Repair Center. Don't void your warranty.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  5. angelopbass

May 18, 2011
    struthers, ohio
    Thanks guys. Talked to the guys at the music shop that it was purchased and they said that they can ship it out. Guess we shall see. I'm running it through a fender rumble 410, with the peak light barely lighting up. (Fender p bass with Duncan qp's) We are a 3 piece with a pretty controlled drummer. No one is insanely loud at practice ever. Hope this can be resolved. But I've never heard of any issues with this amp like this.

6. mattwear

mattwear

Aug 7, 2006
    Wellington, NZ
    I had a problem with my SB300 where it would occasionally lose volume after twenty minutes or so, once it was warmed up. I'd turn it off and it would come back to life and mostly run fine, sometimes not - a real pain. Sounds similar to what you described.

I was sure it was tube related or the auto bias but it turned out to be a really simple fault - The preamp out or power amp in contacts needed cleaning ( or replacing. Can't quite recall ). But a really simple thing and a quick fix. My amp has run faultlessly since.

If you can get it to fault again try putting a jumper cable from preamp out to poweramp in.

Grumry, TMARK and anderbass like this.
  7. angelopbass

May 18, 2011
    struthers, ohio
    Crap. Wish I would've seen this. Sent it back to the factory for warrantee. I have a feeling this isn't going to be resolved, as it only happened once.

8. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Please post a follow up when it comes back. I have the SB300. It was doing this. I narrowed it down to the preamp. I swapped the tubes. Still doing it. I decided to clean the send return connects. Problem solved. I think.

mattwear likes this.
  9. angelopbass

May 18, 2011
    struthers, ohio
    Will do

TMARK likes this.
  10. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Thanks!

11. angelopbass

May 18, 2011
    struthers, ohio
    So thanks for the replies guys. Update: today I practiced using my backup guitar/bass amp. My fender champ x2 through my rumble 410 (don't knock it til ya tried it. It goes in our merch bin to all shows as a backup amp for guitar and bass) About an hour in to practice, guess what?! Loss in volume again!! I immediately say oh my! It's the cabinet! So I go to unplug the bass, and hear some funky cutting in and out. Ummm. Ya. I can officially classify myself a class A moron. I'm pretty sure my input jack on my bass was cutting the volume. IDIOT!!! Oh well. Hope fender gives me my amp back soon.

12. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    ^at least it wasn't an expensive problem

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021