Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help for a noob rockabilly

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by barroso, May 4, 2005.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Hi guys,

i play the electric bass in a touring rock'n roll rockabilly power trio.

I would love to start to play the double bass, the upright.... the doghouse.

Sincerely i have a GAS for King double bass, but i am not able to play at this stage so i would consider a cheaper bass.

which models and maker to look for?
    i live in italy so eurpoean or euro available makers are welcome.

remember that i will use the beast for a rockabilly band. no jazz. no classical. just old school rock. so i think i would need a reliable one.

thanks a lot

2. mpoppitt

mpoppitt

Mar 28, 2005
    Austin Texas
    The King would be a great choice; they look boss too! Stay away from the cheap chinese basses, it's not worth the headache. I don't know of any decent, inexpensive European basses, and have no idea how much it would be to ship one from US to Italy.

The SlapKing is pretty affordable, if the shipping doesn't kill you.

Check out Norton, and Upton as well, they know what rockabilly guys want.

No substitute for a proper upright when playing rockabilly!

3. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Also be sure to check out www.rockabillybass.com. The message board there is all about - you guessed it - rockabilly bass. Basses, strings, music, technique, players, etc. Great resource.

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Definitely check out Upton bass.
    They will hook you up with great advice.

However, shipping from CT to Italy....?

Also, look at Bob Gollihur's site.

I really like my Engelhardt ES-9 Swingmaster and it seems there are a great number to rockabilly slappers who use the Swingmaster.

www.rockabillybass.com also has advice.

I don't play rockabilly really...I just started on DB too.

5. rick123

rick123

Oct 20, 2001
    Evanston, Wyoming
    Hey Barroso
    If you haven't done so already, take a look at Brent Norton's website. He puts together some of the coolest basses, customized to your specific needs. Brent knows Rockabilly and ships all over the place,

6. PlayRecord.Net

PlayRecord.Net

Apr 14, 2005
  7. hofner

hofner

Dec 7, 2003
    france
    yep...on rockabilly bass forum you'll find all you need, or you can drop me a line, i'm in Europe too and play rockabilly ..

8. Frank D.

Frank D.

Mar 22, 2005
    Netherlands
    As for European basses I would definately check out Strunal from the Czwch Republic. They are available in various price ranges, models and sizes.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    My personal advice is several fold:
    1) If you can't afford a King Slapking, you can't afford an upright. Stay away from cheap unplayable junk
    2) Stay away from King. Search this board for posts by me in the repair section, I won't go thru all that again.
    3) Read a lot here, then talk to Brent Norton, The Upton guys, or any of the other *reputable guys here* who can lay a killer setup on a reasonably priced instrument. Don't buy a cheap piece of junk and expect a setup to make it a long lasting playable instrument that you can beat up and down the road in a rockabilly outfit. Also, don't expect to be able to "surf" anything that would be called a real instrument.
    4) DO IT! Playing upright is challenging, fun, and rewarding in ways that electric isn't. Don't expect to buy one and take it right on stage, there will be an "acclimation and adjustment period required."

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My adjustment period lasted a month. I probably could have used another month, but screw it...it's only music...nobody dies if you screw up.

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thanks a lot for posting guys. for surre I'll do it. maybe it will take some times since i have to collect money. the shipping thru the ocean from usa to italy is really high.

my quest is just started...

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    You obviously have never played with Dionne Warwick.

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  14. I heard that! :bawl:

15. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Dionne Warwick? What's this all about? Hmmm???? :p

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No, I never have...but I've played with Lesley Gore, and she's pretty hard on musicians, too. Fortunately she loves me ;)

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Care to fill him in, Paul? You survived her boot camp.

18. ...or James Brown who used to fine musicians for mistakes, or Frank Zappa, who used to record everything and play your mistake back to you afterwards...

19. You do it Marcus...i'm afraid. Joe Kloess is still alive!

20. Frank D.

Frank D.

Mar 22, 2005
    Netherlands
    Barroso, if you really want a King bass you should contact Brinks Musik in Sweden. They are Kings' European distributor. Ask King about their contact info.