1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help for a 'not yet' luthier

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bard2dbone, May 3, 2006.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I would love to build the bass I want to have. But I don't have the time, money, or tools necessary.

So at this point I'm just going to continue swapping parts around.

My current plan is to buy a Geddy Lee Jazz neck and put it on the body of my fretless. Then I will want to put my fretless neck on another body, which will then be tricked out the way I feel like at the time. Currently I'm thinking BA-II, J-retro, and possibly Fralins.

But the body. There's the problem. I can't use a Fender becasue they've started putting these ridiculous bathtub routs in them. So who is out there? I know Warmoth. I might end up using them. But who else is there? USACG doesn't do traditional Jazz bodies do they? All I saw on their website was guitars.

How about it people. Who is a good starter Jazz body?

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    A block of wood makes a good starter jazz body...

Why not pick up an unrouted body? The router is an all important tool in the shop (according to me), can be had reasonably cheaply, and opens up a huge number of doors once you're comfortable with it. If you're looking for a place to start in terms of the woodworking side of instrument building that's what I'd suggest.

Beyond that, you could always look for a jazz body on the eBay. It's a bit more "buyer beware" but so long as you're not looking for a '60s j you should be able to get a much better deal than Warmoth can offer.

Good luck, and welcome to the club.

-Nate

3. afiaowo

afiaowo

Jan 9, 2006
  4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Where is their price for a regular 3T sunburst Jazz body? I saw prices on the finishes section, but not for the body itself.

5. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
  6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Awesome. Thanks.

I apparently have issues with navigating their site.