1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help from Mini Cooper owners

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hdracer, Mar 13, 2013.

1. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I have been shopping for a new car lately.
    When it comes to cars I am more of a American muscle car guy. I will need the car to be able to fit MY rig. I have to be able to fit a 215 cab. The dimensions are 24" wide 38" high and 16" deep.
    I made a cardboard box to the dimensions and bring it with me when I go looking at cars.
    I did a search and read that people are getting DB's into them and that a 410 will fit in them with no problems.

So far my search hasn't been going well.
    Mustang Boss 302- cab will fit but the hatch will not close
    Camaro coupe- no way
    Dodge Challenger R/T- nope
    Dodge Charger- just barely
    The last two cars on my list are the Mini and the VW GTI I like them for the fun to drive factor and the great fuel mileage.

The only Mini dealer in the Twin Cities is on the other side of town from me. I don't feel like driving all the way there and going through the hassles with a salesperson if it just isn't going to fit.

I really liked the Challenger R/T but I would have to get a pair of Bag End 15's to fit in it.

Think it will fit?

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    The GTI should be able to pull it off and have room for 1 passenger. I had a 2004 GTI....with the back seats folded down:

I used to pack my Ampeg 810, svt-vr, a backpack with all accessories, 2 basses (hard cases) and a stand.

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Mini Cooper Clubman has interior cargo space on it's site I think.

4. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    I don't own one, but the MINI doesn't have a lot of storage(unless maybe you try a clubman or countryman), even w/ the seat folded down. The GTi is going to be a better bet, but even that might be tight. The trouble is usually fitting it through the door. There might be room inside, but the hatch is generally just small enough to prevent you from completely filling it.

What you want is an old Volvo 240. :)

5. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I see that now. That may work for me.

6. Pietzsa

Pietzsa Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Orange, Texas
    I own a Countryman and I'd be willing to bet it would fit. I also owned a clubman two years ago. I was able to fit my Swr Goliath 4x10, Swr 750 head in the back with the seats folded down. I'm a Mini freak so I've learned to make it work for my love of the car.

Attached Files:

7. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    Simple, you need a mini van. Just pretend you are driving a muscle car. :D

8. Most any hatchback will work. That's the way to go IMO. I'd add Mazda 3 to the list. Fun, fun car.
    Or Audi A3. Nice car. TDI option as well.
    If you're willing to go in THAT direction, the Ford Escape with the turbo EcoTech engine is really quick and pretty fun to drive, lots of room.

9. Tanner5382

Tanner5382 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    When you fold down the back seats in a Clubman, there is actually a ton of room.

10. Clubman has the ambulance doors, right? Very functional design. Like it myself.

11. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Greg, The Countryman is AWD - not sure if all, but I think so - which is a benefit us Minnesotans, and with the seats down it may work.

My MINI (convertible) is terrible in bad weather. Some of the locals put snow tires on which I will likely try next year. That's why I have a RAV4... I can carry gear, AWD and still some fun.

12. BassOnTheSide

BassOnTheSide Guest

Nov 14, 2011
    \
    My Fender 610 Pro (26"W x 36 5/8"H x 16.25"D) fits in my Mini Cooper with the back seats down with just a little room to spare. I think if you move the front seats all the way up your cab will fit.

13. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I checked out that Countryman and it is nice but boy is it expensive!

14. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    This is an interesting thread. I'm looking at getting rid of my SRT-8 Grand Cherokee for something MUCH more economical! Even though it hauls all of my gear, VERY quickly I might add, it's killing me on gas. Think long and hard before you get a something with a V8 or an H.O. 6cyl!

I've pretty much narrowed my choices to a Mazda 3(maybe the Mazdaspeed version if the operating costs are not outrageous) or a Ford Focus(again, perhaps the ST version if it's not too far out there to own one). Realistically, anything is going to be less expensive to own than my GCSRT!

15. Tanner5382

Tanner5382 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Yep, ambulance doors. I like them too.

16. I really wanted to like the Focus, but after renting a few.....let's just say they look nice.
    In fairness I generally hate four bangers.

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Not music related. Moved to Off Topic.

18. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Hey. PM me your thoughts on the Focus. I'm still leaning towards the Mazda, but I do like a few things about the Focus. I'm not a fan of fours, either, but I've gotten my go fast fix with the SRT, now I need some sensible shoes that can still get my rig to my shows each night...

Sorry about the hijack...:bag:

19. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    ... and darn well worth it. You've sold engines for more :D vrooom vrooom

20. Not an American car but my Hyundai Sonata could either fit a paid of Ampeg 115's or my old Berg NV610 in the back seat. Plus a large enough trunk to fit a pair of Mackie SR450's and a monitor, 2 basses and a couple bags of cables. Still room on the rear seat floor and front passenger seat for a head. Mileage is about 35 highway.