help getting past a block

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by nathan, Feb 18, 2006.

1. nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    Hey Everyone,

I've played for about 6 years, and i've reached a point where I feel like i'm actually getting worse. I've got some sort of writer's block when it comes to making up songs and playing. I've tried learning new styles and things that would challenge me to get better, but it still feels like i've lost a lot of my playing ability. I've even tried stopping playing for a couple days and then starting up again.
    Does anybody have any suggestions as to help me get through this? anything would be of help.

2. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
  3. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Play through it.

If I'm not feeling particularly creative I turn to the other stuff like working on scales or technique.

Creativity can't be forced (although $$$ can motivate! jk).

Don't waste time worrying too much about it! It'll come -- promise!
  4. visa

Dec 17, 2005
  5. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Maybe take a look at the bigger picture. Is there something in you're life that's stressing you out. That will affect your artistic output and creativity.
  6. nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    I actually took lessons for about 4 1/2 of those years, and recently started to take them again. And yeah, I have been under some stress lately, so that may be part of the problem.
  7. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY

Lots of it.
  8. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Involve yourself with other musicians etc.

Quiet honestly, a couple days off is nothing. I've being through a rut where I didn't play for a month + and came back swingin'.

Just give it time.