1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help...here's the scoop

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bass2Live, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Ok fellas, here's the scoop. After being out of the music scene for the better part of a decade, I am now back to playing on a regular basis. I have purchased one (1) five string Yamaha bass and...well, that's all!! There lies my problem. I'm unsure of the direction to take with my gear. I do not want to spend hard earned cash without thoroughly checking my options...Here's the facts:

(1) I'm playing on a weekly basis at a worship service in a Chapel that holds 100-150 people.
    (2) We play Christian rock/Alternative Christian...very upbeat and lively.
    (3) Playing other Churches as needed so some local moving/traveling is involved.

So far I have been going through a direct box to the PA and have little to no control of my sound beyond the sound check.

I would like to get some equipment that could also be used for Home studio/private practice. Would like to be able to use headphones combined with some sort of backing track.

Soooo,

(1) Would a preamp set up before my direct box to the PA help control my sound??...should I have a full amp setup and mike it to the PA...
    (2) If I have active electronics do I even need a PreamP??
    (3) been looking at a little box called a Dr Rhythm (Boss, i think) and wondered if that may be cool for home rehearsal/recording??
    (4) wondering what other rack mount and/or effects boxes may be useful??

In case is isn't obvious, I am just starting over and wonder what equipment will be necessary/useful for gigging and possible future home recordings...and above all, I'm a father of three and on a fairly tight budget!! HELP

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Are you playing bass? if you are I'd suggest Tech21 preamp called the RBI. its rack mounted tone controls and other enhancements with a effected DI out with volume, clean DI out, ok overdrive circuit. www.tech21nyc.com

for you backing sound maybe get a little mixer? about $100 you can plug in xlr, 1/4, and RCA inputs, you could also probably plug in the RBI. I DID NOT mention behringer because they got so many POOR REVIEWS! www.rolls.com has a small passive 4 into 1 mixer called the MX41. but that only accepts 1/4 plugs.

you might want a small combo for monitoring youself. either a roland bass/keyboard amp or again, tech21 has a small combo (with a built in RBI) called a Landmark 60 that contains most of the RBI flexibility. my friend claims its 5 string friendly even though its a 10". supposidly they are changing it to a 12"

Check out these websites for stuff...
    retail: www.musiciansfriend.com
    retail: www.zzounds.com
    I've bought from both.

Amp reviews: http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/
    mixer reviews: www.google.com

God bless, brother...