1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help! I want to replace my pickups but I don't know how it works!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by henryguckes, Aug 25, 2017.

1. henryguckes

henryguckes

May 12, 2017
    I'm looking for new pickups for my toby standard IV, and I wanted to get a soapbar, but I don't know if I can mod my bass to fit that in, as I've never done too much research on pickups. Thanks!

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Pick whatever you like & take those & the bass to your local luthier, where it will get routed to fit the pickups you like:

TobyIV_AW_Splash_r.
    unless you have experience with woodworking & own a router or dremel

3. henryguckes

henryguckes

May 12, 2017
    Thanks! I'll talk to the guitar store nearby.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Please Please don't take it to Guitar Center or Sam Ash. Ask around among musicians in your area, who's a reputable luthier?
    If you don't know anyone, join a local FB group & ask there.

5. henryguckes

henryguckes

May 12, 2017
    Don't worry, I'm taking it to a local store that has a luthier working there, I've talked to them about other similar things in the past.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Why? Are you suffering from the common misconception that certain shapes have certain sounds? Because they don't. You can get just about any tone in just about any shape. So my recommendation is to stay with the shape you already have and do some research about all of the various pickups available in that shape, and which ones might have the tone you're looking for.

Love the Tobias, by the way. Even the Epi Toby version. :thumbsup: