Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Identify these Smooth Flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by zac2944, Aug 18, 2005.

1. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I have an old 5 string set of flatwounds that I had on a bass back in 1999-2000. I loves the smoothness and the old-school tone of these string and would love to put a similar set on my P-Bass. Here's the problem: they are cut too short to fit the P-Bass and I can't remember what brand they are. I'm hoping someone here can help I identify these mystery flatwounds. I have tried Chromes and Rotosounds, but they're too rough and don't have the right tone.

Here are some clues:

They have light gray silk winding on the ends.

They are a five (5) string set.

They are ultra smooth. They have virtually no gap between the outer windings like the Rotosounds and Chromes do. They remind me of strings that I have seen on upright basses. I would consider the Rotosounds and Chromes to be rough when compared to the "mystery" 5 string set.

I know that they are nothing too exotic like TI's, I never could have afforded them back in 1999.

I hope someone knows these strings. Thanks for your help.

2. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    bump

3. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    La bella, lakland, sadowsky maybe?

4. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    It may be the La bella's but probably not Lakland or Sadowsky. I'm pretty sure the store I got them from doesn't carry those brand strings.

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Ernie Ball? I don't remember what color silks, if at all they had. They had a nice sound and a smooth feel, too.

6. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    They are blue, i have them on one of my basses right now :)

7. Current Ernie Ball flats have blue silk that's the same color as Chromes. Anyone know the silk color on Dean Markley flats? I've never tried them (yet), but folks say they are smooth to the touch and very thumpy. DM does make a five string set.

8. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Dean Markley might be the string. I know that the store I bought them from sells this brand. I'll send an email to DM.

9. Hurezeanu

Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005
    They're Dean Markley's alright! :)
    ULTRA smooth to the touch, and the light-grey silk sound exactly like em.

I do have a set on my p-bass, and a 5-string set on my Ibanez BTB, and they are definitely one of my favorite flatwound strings!

alot of people don't like them because they find these strings to go "dead quickly," but like you said, these strings are thumpy enough to have a great upright bass tone.

hope that helps!

10. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner. Hurezeanu, you da Man! Thanks so much. I've been trying to figure out what they were for some time now. Can't wait to get a set for my P! They are kind of dead sounding, but that is the sound that I'm after. Old-school mojo. Thanks again.