1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help identifying a string brand / make

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thelowerrhythm, Jul 19, 2012.

1. thelowerrhythm

thelowerrhythm

Jul 19, 2012
    Hello there!

I'm trying to identify some flatwounds that I had on an older Deluxe Jazz fretless years ago. I've looked around at a lot of brands and just cannot find the same strings.

The ones I'm looking for were stupid smooth. I honestly don't remember even being able to see the windings. Almost as if they had been buffed out.

Whatever they were, they were excellent to the touch.

2. basslover1

basslover1

Jul 19, 2012
    am new here..guys can you post newsboys "gods not dead" bass tabs here.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There is a section on here for tabs. The string forum is not it, and neither is someone else's thread.

Stupid smooth sounds like either old Fender flats or D'addario Chromes. Do you remember what color the silk winding was?

4. thelowerrhythm

thelowerrhythm

Jul 19, 2012
    I don't... this was several years ago, and that was my first encounter with flats and so I assumed they were all like that. :(

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Any silks?

what did the ball end / tail section look like?

6. thelowerrhythm

thelowerrhythm

Jul 19, 2012
    Definitely can't recall any of that... I know, makes it difficult.

I just haven't seen any flatwounds since that have the appearance of having all of the lines from the windings totally buffed out.

I can't find a closeup, but after reading the description of D'Addario Chromes, as was suggested... I have a feeling that might be them. Gonna snag a pair and cross my fingers. :)

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Without the lines would mean a very tightly wound flat.

D'Addario are smooth but not wound so tight you wouldn't see lines....

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I really don't know any strings where you wouldn't see lines at all, but they are pretty darn smooth IMHO so I went with it.

9. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    In my experience, the smoothest feeling flats are:
    GHS Precision
    Lakland Joe Osborn (same strings as GHS Precision Flats)
    La Bellas
    DR Legend Flatwounds (I think GHS makes these)
    Mangan

Chromes not so smooth, that means the new Fenders and EBMM flats also not so smooth.
    Rotos not so smooth.
    TI Jazz Flats not so smooth.

10. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    GHS Precision flats look like that; very, very smooth to the naked eye.

They have a magenta/pink-ish silk at the tuners.

11. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    I concur, and to add to the smooth category:

Sadowsky Black Label
    Black Diamond Pure Jazz
    Detroit Steel (although maybe somewhat inconsistent)
    And I think we can add Pyramid Gold to the mix (nickel, not SS).

You have a lot of strings to go through. :D

12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    the only flat that I have ever used (out of probably 6-8 brands) that met the 'no lines' description were the GHS ... with regards to smoothness, I find it varies under a lot of conditions, and there are times when my Chromes are smooth as can be, and times with I feel a little drag on them ... the GHS were smooth all the time, but just weren't what I was after for sound ... interestingly, the GHS were also the only flatwound string that has broken on me ...

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I don't know...once you use them a couple times, Chromes smooth right up. I don't find them so draggy personally.

14. billgwx

billgwx

Apr 10, 2009
    Centereach NY
    That's my experience too. If I remember correctly, some have said in other threads that their initial grittiness is a by-product of the manufacturing process, and could be wiped off to some extent.

15. thelowerrhythm

thelowerrhythm

Jul 19, 2012
    Ah man, not to bump this thread, but this is still driving me nuts. I asked a bassist friend who had played the Jazz in question a lot back when I had it, and he said the windings had definitely been buffed into nothingness, and that the strings were a lot more 'chrome' looking than any strings he had used before.

I'm being haunted by some phantom stuff right now. This and a custom tele that won't stop buzzing despite being pulled apart twice by two different luthiers.

I suggest you run from this thread. I'm cursed.