1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help Me Choose a Color...Pre-CBS Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joker820, May 13, 2019 at 7:25 PM.

Re-Finish Color

This poll will close on May 20, 2019 at 7:25 PM.
  1. Shoreline Gold

102 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. Burgundy Mist

64 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. Other, please specify below

50 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. joker820

joker820 Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Greetings fellow TBers,

I recently acquired a second 1963 Precision Bass in need of a re-finish. My first one was re-finished Foam Green so I was thinking of going with a metallic this time around. The second one was purchased due to it having all original parts (even the mint pickguard!) and the shop was going to part it out on Reverb. I couldn’t see it end it’s life like this so I decided to undertake a rescue mission. I will probably end up having to sell it down the road unless I win the lottery because a substantial portion of my net worth is now tied up between two basses :bag:. Sadly the original custom color has been lost to time. The two colors I’m leaning towards are Shoreline Gold and Burgundy Mist. I’d like to avoid the common Candy Apple Red and Lake Placid Blue but suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Willicious, StuStu and davidprice like this.
  2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    major kudos for pulling off the rescue!
    metallic was my instant thot so have at it, no matter the color cos I like them all.

joker820 likes this.
  3. joker820

Jan 20, 2014
    Uploaded a few more photos for reference :drool:

Attached Files:

4. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Man that bass looks good as is to me. Almost like a really really worn Mary Kaye

roogbass, gregmon79 and joker820 like this.
  5. joker820

Jan 20, 2014
    If you could see it in person, it’s nothing like that but I appreciate the kind words haha

Rabidhamster likes this.
  6. SB300

SB300

Apr 4, 2015
    Of the 2 colors I would opt for the gold. I like the burgandy but I think I would get tired of it. Reminds me of when I had my '63 Mustang refinished. The guy was also doing Dick Dale's strat in gold diamond flake. Mine was metal flake. His flakes were much bigger and brighter. It was stunning.

Bass V and joker820 like this.
  7. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    charcoal frost metallic
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2019 at 10:02 PM
  8. joker820

Jan 20, 2014
    That’s a good one. Those almost look best with tort though. I’d have to find a picture with a mint guard.

Bassosaurus likes this.
  9. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Dakota red
    [​IMG]

10. joker820

Jan 20, 2014
    Not a bad color I’m leaning towards a metallic this time. I like the way they look with the mint guards.

davidprice likes this.
  11. ComesATime

ComesATime Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Agreed. One of my favorites. Breaks the mold of the black, but still classy as all get out.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Keep it in the era: if it has a mint guard already: Sonic Blue or Daphne Blue.

basted, Remoman, trothwell and 6 others like this.
  13. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Charcoal Frost is a cool color, but it wasn’t available until 1965, so it’s not correct at all for a ‘63.

14. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    My vote for a period correct metallic finish would be inca silver or sherwood green. Those are the only other pre-CBS metallic choices you have besides the ones you already mentioned.

15. joker820

Jan 20, 2014
    Inca silver is cool but I prefer Shoreline out of the two. Sherwood isn’t a bad “budget” alternative to the one on reverb for $33,000 :nailbiting: One thing I forgot to mention is the rosewood is kind of light colored on this one compared to the Brazilian boards of the era. This is either Indian or super light Brazilian.

Attached Files:

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  16. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I agree it doesn’t look like Brazilian and more like Indian (which would actually be pretty rare I think on a ‘63). I can’t say that I know of any pre-CBS Fenders with Indian RW off hand.

$33K for any color 1960s P bass is smoking crack in this market. We’ll check back on that one in 10 years, lol.

17. Juststanley

Juststanley Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Tejas
    Sonic blue with some relicing...

NathOBX likes this.
  18. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    You can't go wrong with either one... although in favor of doing something a tad more rare (especially seeing that Burgundy Mist has shown up a bit more lately, particularly on Jazz Basses and Jazz copies with matching headstocks), I'd opt for Shoreline Gold.

Ever consider Firemist Gold or Firemist Silver? Those are nice metallics as well... and are even more rarely seen. The bronzey color of FG is sweet... as is the greenish hue of an aged FS.

Whatever you do, please have the stones to leave that headstock as-is. Everyone and their mom has a matching headstock these days... but Fender custom colors (especially if you can find someone to do an aged version) will look particularly nice with all that original hardware and a gorgeous honey headstock.

Post pics when she's wearing her new outfit, please!

lg_1_1_479545. L1110943.

Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 3:14 PM
  19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Shell Pink

20. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

Candy Apple Red?