1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me decide "Confused"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 2string1, Oct 21, 2013.

1. 2string1

2string1

Apr 1, 2013
    Can't decide on a micro head. I'll be using it with a CN212 and a 64 Pbass. I don't slap bass just finger pick. MBF800 or TH500. I have been using a WT-400 and a 210xst. I know KJung will chime in because he loves the TH500 and CN212 but I need opinions from others. I tried the Streamliner 900 and didn't care for it. The two amps I suggested are the only two I am interested in. Thanks

2. MBF800. You'll have your choice of clean, grindy or down right nasty with more tone shaping options as well. Also more power on tap.

3. 2string1

2string1

Apr 1, 2013
    Anybody else care to voice an opinion?

4. Between those two amps? TH500. Either will drive a 4 Ohm 212 with full range drivers to its limits.

5. 2string1

2string1

Apr 1, 2013
    I like the TH500, less knobs to turn. Do you think the Th500 will have enough bite(treble)?

6. "Enough" is pretty subjective. I think the TH500 has a easy to use mid sweep. Pull back the lows a tad, and get the mids right, boost the gain, and you should have lots of cut.

7. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    I know that the Genz Benz Shuttlemax 9.2 sounds great with the CN212. Plenty of bite (treble, eq is very versatile). I would try it if I were you.

8. The MBF800 will get you a touch closer to the top end of your WT400, while the TH500 will be fatter and growlier down low and more relaxed and paper cone sounding up top. Both will sound a bit different than what you are used to with the WT400, and both will be a bit louder and fuller sounding IMO and IME.

That being said, per your comment above, the TH500 and CN212 is quite something. Those two pieces of gear match up quite well for a very even, punchy and big tone, with one of the sweetest top ends I've heard... nice treble extension with zero 'metallic sizzle'. I would think if you wanted it 'deeper and sizzlier' the MBF800 would kill also, and give you a smidge more headroom.

Coming from the Eden, the MBF800 or the MBF500 would probably be a good choice. The MBF500 with the CN212 will bury your little 210XST so deep that you won't know what hit you! Of course, the WT400/CN212 would be a beautiful thing also!

9. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Could'nt you try one out first ? IIRC, Guitar Center carries the GK stuff, maybe they have that head in stock. Not sure who carries the Aggy stuff, but you could at least eliminate or choose the GK if they have one at GC.

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I have an MB800. I find it works well as a replacement for my Mesa M9. I can't really offer a detailed assessment like Kjung's—and I would trust his insights—yet, I find that I can get the sounds I want, with more power than I usually need, with the MB800. The EQ is not so simple (for me) on the MB800, but I am spoiled by the M9.

11. Never tried the MB800 or the CN212. I have used my TH500 with one or a pair of 210XST's, though, and that pretty much does it all.

12. The good news is that both the heads the OP is considering are sold by Musician's Friend. Free shipping, no tax (in most states), and a 30 day (or more, I think) no questions asked return policy.

The OP should buy one, try it for a couple of days, and if it doesn't float his boat with the CN212, send it back, and be out $10 in return shipping, and order the other one. Very little risk with these heads.

bass nitro likes this.
  13. 2string1

2string1

Apr 1, 2013
    Thanks I'll probably do that.

14. That is really the only way to know for sure. Those two amps are VERY different, and you will definitely have a favorite (or dislike both of them for different reasons!).

15. If it helps any I used a WT300 and a pair of Eden cabs for years (210 + 115) and tried a TH500 for about a year, never really found the sound I wanted but I loved the form factor and build quality. Recently I bought a MBF800 and a Markbass Big Bang and decided after hearing them that either would get me where I wanted to be. Both sounded more similar to the Eden amp while the TH500 is quite different.

Ended up returning the Markbass in favor of the GK just due to the extra headroom and the two channels.

I also use a Bergantino cabinet now too (NV115 x 2).

+ 1 if you can order both and try for yourself.

16. I've been using a TH500 for a few months (in a "dirty ska & reggae" band) so I need to cut through. It's not as glassy or clear as I'd like. I do have to dial in to try and get some of the really higher end treble out of it. That being said, I always like the tone. Always. I just have to knob it up to shape it to something I like. I would recommend it to anyone. It also sounds as tube warm as you can get without tubes.

17. 2string1

2string1

Apr 1, 2013
    Where is everyone getting the MBF800? They seem to be back ordered every where.