help me discover new techniques

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BryLMoo, Jun 30, 2004.

1. BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm kinda stuck in a rut of playing 'boring' lines. I'm always blown away by some bassists who have this ability to 'tap' or 'slap' some funky ass **** outta their guitars. How the hell do they do it? I was trying last night, and i just fell uip short. I got it for a sec, but then i just couldn't keep it going. Any help with hand and finger positions would be helpful...

2. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    well....a lot of practice is mandatory! Do a search in technique for tapping, slap pop, speed excercises and etc.... A word of warning however - I have not found slapping/popping/tapping/thwacking very useful in ANY of my bands/projects. So, go ahead and learn it, but for every hour you spend on it, spend at least another hour on regular fingerstyle practice. (I spent 2 years practicing slap, boy did I pay for it when I joined a rock band!).

And learn as much about music theory as you can. (this should help alleviate the "boring" lines problem). Scales, fingerboard memorization, time signatures, etc... I wish I had gotten serious about this earlier as well!
  3. BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for the advice.

I'm not really new to music, as I've taken piano lessons for nine years. I picked up the bass just cuz i didn't feel like playing the guitar. Everyone wants to play the guitar, and I just don't feel like being 'everyone'.

I probably need a better amp.... :ninja: :bassist:
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    While there is certainly nothing wrong with learning new techniques, I'm not sure that it will help you with your problems of "boring lines." You might be going after the wrong thing.
  5. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    IME, listening to Rush really opened up my eyes to a whole different playing style. Rarely does Geddy Lee stick to rootnotes. He goes everywhere on the neck, and it ALWAYS sounds good! So the next time you play a boring line, throw some scale tones in there, a funky fill, some chromatics, whatever, to spice it up. It's really helped me get back on track. Plus, challenging your brain and fingers to come up with a really cool line is always fun.
  6. BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I sometimes go higher on the neck to play...really depends on my mood. I love heavy riffs, but i also like funky higher pitched playing.

I'm just trying to get my style down...thats all.

=) thanks for the advice
  7. Dr_Trundlebush

Apr 23, 2004
    Hey Guys,

My first time writing on the forum. I just bought myself a bass 3 months ago and am in the process of teaching myself. Sorry to intrude on someone's thread but I don't think I have the rank to make my own.

Anyway my question is on bass effects. I never really liked any effects on bass I have heard so far. I know it's a subjective question to answer but are there actually any decent ones? Also in what situations would bass pedals be necessary or better? Any input on this would be interesting. Thanks,

- Dr T

"There's nothing sexier then a chick behind a bass guitar." - Dr T