Help me find a documentary

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bocete, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long

Sep 30, 2006
    Hi

I remember a documentary I've watched a year or so back. It starts focusing the earth and gradually goes further and further showing what have we seen with our telescopes - effectively going back through time, all the way to the edge of the (known?) universe. As it goes further, the objects in focus become older, bigger and weirder.

The documentary was entirely made in 3D, you can only hear the narrator. It looked very fancy so I guess it's not old.

I've tried googling to no avail. Wikipedia's list of space documentaries doesn't list anything similar, although the list is small.

If you've seen it, what is it called?

Thanks,
    Bocete

2. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I saw that too but I don't remember what it's called right now. I'll try to see if I can dig it up somewhere because I really enjoyed it.

3. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I don't know if this is what you saw but this is what I remember.

Cosmic Voyage is a 1996 short documentary produced in the IMAX format, directed by Bayley Silleck, produced by Jeffrey Marvin, and narrated by Morgan Freeman.

The film takes viewers on a journey through forty-two orders of magnitude, beginning at a celebration in Italy to zoom to the edge of the observable universe. The view descends back to earth, and later zooms in upon a raindrop on a leaf, to the level of sub-atomic particles ("quarks").

In addition, the film offers some brief insight on the Big Bang Theory, black holes, and the development of our Solar System. It also simulates a journey through Fermilab's Tevatron particle accelerator in Chicago, where an atom collision is depicted.

4. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long

Sep 30, 2006
    Nope, it's neither. The one I remember went further and further, explaining what the objects in focus are and how much the image "lags" behind our time. The further they go the weirder and larger it gets. I remeber a huge swirly thingy, with a slim but unbelievably long helix extruding from its center on both sides. I have no idea what it was, but it looks just what a wormhole should look like :)

That documentary - if I remember right - didn't mention life at all. Maybe that there might be life out there, but the focus was astronomy. Thanks anyway, I've stumbled upon the "Powers of 10" while searching for this, and it looks very interesting.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021