1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help me find the perfect first combo amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fnery, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Fnery

Fnery

Dec 26, 2011
    huy, i'm a begginer bass player and i'm about to buy my first amp. i'm looking for a good sound combo amp for band rehearsarls and small gigs. My band plays heavy metal, so it would be cool if my amp ad a really nice reply on our songs. My budget is 250€ , what can i get with it?
    i've been searching some amps at this price range:

Kustom KXB100
    Behringer BXL 3000
    Gallien Krueger Backline 115

what do you think about those?

Appreciate any help

2. Budget combos and heavy metal are not best buddies, AFAIK :eek: Of course this depends on your band mates keeping their volumes in check.
    Anywho ...

Out of the trio, I'd pick the GK. Haven't heard the Kustom. Behringer doesn't sound bad but I prefer the GK.

Out of thomann and 250 Euros, I'd take the Ampeg BA112 for it's tone (kickback is also handy, makes it easier to hear), or save 50 more Euros and bag a more powerful (and supposedly louder driver) GK MB112.

Your best bet is to buy used, buy local, for better value.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    First off, only YOU can decide which is the "perfect" amp for you, and secondly, hard rock and heavy metal will require quite a bit more than a combo amp will provide. I'd suggest buying a small practice combo for home use, and saving up quite a bit more money for a gig worthy rock bass rig. As an example, you'll want an amp with at least 300-500 watts of power, and a speaker cab with at least 4 10's, but more likely, double that. Good luck on your quest- read the amp FAQ's and stickeies at the top of the page.

4. I agree with the previous two posts fully... However, I know what its like having to adhere to a budget, and I reccomend the Ampeg BA112 or 115 models... Hard to beat for the price!

5. Fnery

Fnery

Dec 26, 2011
    first of all, thanks for the answers. About my amp, i'm really sure i don't want to get something too much for my begginer level. i'm just looking for a nice clean amp, don't really like how the overdriven sounds, even playing heavy metal, i'm not a fan. It's not a big deal, just for practice and maybe some first small gigs Is there a combo amp that can make the job easy?

6. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    As to the thread title, if there was a perfect first combo amp everyone would have the same one :) I agree with expanding the search to include used items. You'll get more for your budget, especially since there's no such thing as a heavy metal "small gig" .... volume wise :D

7. EvilE

EvilE

Dec 17, 2011
    Another cheap and loud combo is the Fender BXR300C. I picked up a used one for around $250 and it's a lot of amp for the money. Add an external 8 ohm cabinet (don't forget to use a speaker cable NOT a guitar cable!!) and this thing will keep up with your metal band for some pretty short $$$.

I have had both the BXR300C and the Ampeg BA115. The Ampeg will sound cleaner but the Fender will give you more volume. Ampeg also made a BA115HP with a little more power, maybe worth checking out.

Worth noting the Fender weighs a lot, not a good choice if you'll be moving it around much.

8. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    Whatever you choose, make sure it has a DI output and an external speaker output. I suggest also getting an amp stand. With your musical style, you will likely experience guitar players that don't understand the concept of volume control...so a combo without an extension cab isn't going to cut it if they get too loud. An amp stand will at least help YOU hear yourself better, and the DI out will allow the audience to hear you. Then, when you can afford it..you can pick up an extension cab later.

9. Fnery

Fnery

Dec 26, 2011
    there's a local guy selling a genz benz tubeworks rt3300 combo, 250€. It's a good choice?

10. Fnery

Fnery

Dec 26, 2011
    As you all recommended(thanks a lot), i did some search for used amps, tell me what do you think about these:

Marshall B65, 150€
    HH B100, 140€
    Fender rumble 100, 240€
    Crate bx 300, 200€
    Warwick sweet 15, 220€
    genz benz tubeworks rt3300 combo, 250€

11. Fnery

Fnery

Dec 26, 2011
    *Crate bx 100, not 300, my bad

12. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    It's your decision however it depends on your band. Is the amp going to be used for gigs or recording?

Any of the major brands have decent combos, I'm partial to GK.

13. Fnery

Fnery

Dec 26, 2011
    some small gigs and probably some demo recordings later

14. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    While you're budget is an obstacle even for used gear, I'm sure you will find an amp that can handle the job.

Just a side note, I would stay away from the GK Back Line series.

15. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    +1

16. I have a GK backline 112. It is almost loud enough to play with a band. That is, it works OK until things get loud. It sounds great, even growls nicely turned up, but there is a point where turning the knobs up more doesn't fill the room with any more sound, it just gets sorta flatulent. I will say though it does sound great right up to that point. Perhaps the best part of this amp is that it only set me back $99.

I believe the backline 115 has 50 watts more than the 112, and a bunch more speaker surface area. I imagine it has a lot more headroom and may work ok with a band.

Also in this same family and price range is the backline 210. It has a decent amount of speaker surface area, puts 200 watts into the internal speakers, and will push 300 watts if you add an external cab. A quick google showed some used at prices ranging from $150 to $250.

17. $250. Metal band....

Two words....

USED, PEAVEY

look for a 15" speaker or larger. 410's would be great.

*edit - I don't know how common they are in your area but up here in Canada, Yorkville stuff is like the Canadian Peavey in that they have always made bullet proof gear at a great price. Especially in the used market.

I played a 1985 Yorkville 15" 250 W combo in my first Death Metal group in the 90's and it worked well. Never let me down. We were pretty loud too.

18. Holliwood

Holliwood

Sep 13, 2011
    I play in a metal/hard rock band.
    The guitarist both use Marshall 1/2 stacks.
    Drummer is LOUD!!

I use a Traynor 400/15 and it's LOADS.
    Sounds great

I got mine for $400 CAN used, so 250 Euros should get you a good used one if you can find one.