1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP ME GET RID OF GAS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MoonDoggy, Apr 9, 2009.

1. MoonDoggy

MoonDoggy Registered Loser Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    Ok...I've read a previous thread and tried nearly all of the suggested solutions.

- I've tried the bass buying 'limits'. I know I really only NEED 1 bass, two tops. Although, ideally I'd like to have a 4 string, a 6 string, and a fretless. Yet I have about 6 and several 'projects' too.
    - I have a fiance, but she knows not to stand in the way. I spend good money on her too. She doesn't have a problem with it.
    - Here's something you think would really put a damper on the gassing: I just bought my first house, got laid off the following day, and just got a puppy!

You'd think that would be a fix-all, but I still spend hours a day on eBay, TB classifieds, TheLowEnd, BassNW, Bass Central, Bass Emporium, Bass Specialties, Atlanta Bass Gallery, and any other outlet that sells higher end basses. In the 12 years I've been playing, I've found that I typically treat basses like whores. I get tired of them or find a better one, and I usually never got so attached that I had a hard time getting rid of it. BUT...recently I've found basses that I know I will probably never tire of, not to mention, find another one. (like my purple Spector NSCR5FM, Yamaha TRB-6P w/ Barts, Tune Zi-II 6, Spector USA BOB 4, etc..)

I've never bought a New bass, and I only buy a bass if I can make money reselling it. This is how I justify buying them in the first place. The problem is, I only buy basses I really want, so it's difficult to flip them when I just want to keep them for myself! I don't want to flip basses as a hobby necessarily. I'd much rather make money playing them on weekends as a real 'bassist'. But I do LOVE trying and owning all these nice basses.

I am truly happy with basses I currently have, and with my current situation, I really can't afford to spend the money on basses that I used to. The problem is that I still look. I still have the need to 'see what I'm missing'. I know this will lead to me eventually buying something that I feel is a good deal. (Example....just about ALL the basses that 'musicdungeon' on eBay is selling since they bought out the NYC Bass Loft!)

I've also considered spending a stupid amount of money on a NEW custom that leaves me with "nothing left to be desired" in a bass. I have SOOO many dream basses, that I wouldn't know where to begin. The closest I came was getting Bass Specialties to quote me a USA Spector NS-6XL with exotic top and piezos. It was about $7000ish. That's CRAZY I know, but I thought that's what it would take. I know for certain, that I would never get rid of that bass! But, it's still not a cure per say, just longer-term relief. I'd still look to see who's selling what and for how much.

My last problem is that my love is too big! I love 4,5,6,7,8,12 strings, headed, headless, fretted, fretless. And I have a lot of 'dream tones' too. I love Sheehan's crystal like Yamaha Attitude thump. I love Geddy's dirty growl. I love Danyel Morgan's (Randolph and the Family Band) crispy punchy slap n pop. I love Myung's plain pre-Bongo tone. You get the idea. Basically, I don't have one style of bass that I like and I don't have one tone I'm shooting for.

So how do I conquer this habit- both the looking and eventual buying? More importantly, how do I change my mindset to want to PLAY my basses (and learn to play them well) rather than trying to find what my next potential 'whore' might be?? I'm sick of telling people, "I know more about basses than I do how to play them!"

I just lost about 3 hours of my life today alone looking for basses. I spent about 5 minutes playing one of my basses! I really need help.

Has anyone kicked GAS?

Thanks for reading TB!

Dan

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Ouch. Maybe you should sell all your basses, and start fresh. That would cure GAS for a while, IMO.

3. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I had the same problem when i had nothing to do npw i get on here 2 times a day , i like to play more.

Teach your girl how to play thats what i did she just recently got a mustang and now i can play guitar and we jam together, i am still better than her thats the important part :)

4. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    You have a fiance, a house, a dog, gear, and no job. What exactly do you think anyone is going to tell you that you can't figure out for yourself? You can't afford to buy anything and you don't need anything. Calling vendors and getting quotes on basses you have no intention of buying is a waste of everyone's time. Do yourself a favor and quit tormenting yourself. Be happy with what you have and play it. There's always something else out there to buy, just don't do it. You need to be like an alcoholic who says "I'm not going to drink today" Say that everyday and you'll be fine.

5. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    You are correct, and I've told myself that many times:

"Don't get on your computer. Just go play the basses. If you get on your computer, avoid eBay and find a song to learn and just do it. Download some drum tracks and jam. Anything but look!"

I have very little discipline I guess!

And I should have specified....I got that Spector quote months and months ago, long before I knew I was getting a house and got laid off (but after I knew I was getting married!) It was the house and dog and joblessness that made me throw away the idea of buying a New top-of-the line bass. Yet, I still look. It is definitely a self-discipline issue.

6. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
  7. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    Point taken! I do realize how lucky and blessed I am say that I've owned a lot of my dream basses. And I know I'm lucky to say that I own more than one bass.

8. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Get rid of your internet! Whether that means unplugging it or shutting off your Airport, turning off your computer and putting it under your bed, just get it out of sight and play some bass! I need to follow my own advice more often!

9. You're bored.
    Seriously: There's no point preventing yourself from doing something you enjoy- it just creates a vacuum where you sit around twiddling thumbs and thinking about the fact that you're not checking out new gear. The way to do it is find something that takes your time and focus so you're not even thinking about it; maybe thats playing music, maybe its learning to play tennis etc... Ever built an effects pedal? Give that a go.

(Musicdungeon you say? Wow. yeah! they've got some great stuff!...)

:help:

10. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    practice does help man i ama pick player and really good at using one , lately been giving the fingers ago and now there blisterd and beelding i dont even want to type ouch!

11. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    Not having a job would take care of my gas.:meh:

12. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    stop coming to talkbass, seeing all those basses doesn't help lol

13. Scordare

Scordare

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    Stop coming here and take two of these a day.

GASX.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I just checked the weather for your area(s). I was going to tell you to go outside. But after seeing the forecast, you're screwed. Do something constructive. Or go shopping and buy your fiance something nice. The "payoff" will probably be better than a new bass. Cheers.

15. You my man need to become a Bass dealer!!

You can shop and warehouse all the basses you like. All types. With your knowledge of the actual instruments themselves, you'd be a natural.

But you'd have to sell your house to finance the business for now..ouch!

Or you could go to work at Guitar Center....

16. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Hi, my name is <insert name here> and I have GAS.

No seriously, if you find you can't stop looking at basses, you may need to seek help. AA, Shopaholics Anonymous. Get into a program.

17. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    +1 and also look into professional help before your girlfriend bails on you to. :bawl:

18. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    I'd like to think that it's not bad enough that I need meetings, but I have been trying to stop my addiction for a year or so now.

I've also considered maybe getting into bass retail. For now, what would normally be my day job if I wasn't laid off, probably pays better than retail. So until the fiance gets done with grad school and brings home some bacon for herself, I'm left to feed her! (Back to the reason why I haven't purchased a bass in many months! BUT I still look and don't play enough actual Bass.)

I will start trying these suggestions. I'm off to learn a new song.

Thanks TB.

19. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    You can't resolve you problem by buy basses. Prioritize issues and you'll find the need for a bass is way down the list of really important issues.

20. azarias

azarias

Mar 19, 2009
    Sounds like you need a shot of discipline in the arm.
    We all could use more of it.

I would suggest getting a Bass teacher right away. Tell him you have extra time right now and you need some challenging homework. Make sure that you will be required to perform for him at each lesson. Try to get two lessons a week or at least once a week.
    Wouldn't that keep you busy? :hyper: