help me help a friend!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andrejs, Feb 12, 2009.

1. andrejs

andrejs

May 27, 2008
    Hi, guys! A friend of mine (guitar player) is looking to buy a bass for his bands bassist, she's not a "gearhead" so he's helping out her and he asked for my advice.
    So they decided on price (about 200 lats which is about 400$) and that they are buying used and at the moment they found these three basses on sale here in Latvia.

::LTD B-304

::Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass

::Ibanez SRX 300

I couldn't tell him anything about these basses except that I have heard a lot of good things about Squier VM P, reviews are good and I know it gets much love here on TB. Have heard mixed reviews on LTD, I have played one long time ago but really don't remember what I thought about it :) I think it had comfortable neck with low action but I think that was more expensive LTD than this is. Never tried Ibanez SRX 300 but again, found good reviews about it on internet.
    So I thought why not ask for help here. Without concentrating on specific deals, which bass would you advice to someone else? Which one is the best considering quality, reliability? LTD and Ibanez have two humbuckers and active electronics, they're a lot more versatile, the P is "one trick pony", but are those electronics (active ones) at that price point any good? Any other thoughts or experience?
    I know that the best way would be to try out each specific bass and decide which feels and sound the best but as it's not for me, this wouldn't work and I think that this answer wouldn't help my friend any way, cause he already chose three basses and now I think he wants my opinion on which one could be the best quality bass and of course which one is sounding good (although it's quite subjective, maybe you already know that two of them sound cheap or thin and have low output or smth).
    Crossing one bass from the list would help a lot because these basses are not in the same city as we are and checking them out takes time and that's the thing we're all lacking aren't we? :)

Thought I'm gonna make it a quick question but I guess I have a talent in complicating things. :) Sorry.
    So any help would be appreciated!

If anyone's interested (and want to take a look at latvian language) - here are the deals.
    http://www.zip.lv/show/?i=389018&search=dfa6e71229fc52efc0c37c9b3a3588ee&place=17
    http://www.zip.lv/show/?i=364671&search=dfa6e71229fc52efc0c37c9b3a3588ee&place=146
    http://www.ss.lv/msg/lv/hobbies_interests/music_sinema/musical_instrument/el._guitars/dnpcb.html
    I think that that's not making any difference cause all of the basses are in "ideal condition" :) and cost about the same (the ltd dropped the price to 200 Ls. 1 Ls = 2.10$)

2. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    Ooh, that LTD is purrty...:p

3. Go with the P. One trick pony my ***. Probably the best quality/bang for buck, and you'll still be able to get a decent penny out of it should she decide to sell it and upgrade in the future.

4. andrejs

andrejs

May 27, 2008
    thanks. that's what I wanted to hear - best quality/bang for buck. Anyone else has experience or opinion?

5. I'd go with the P as well. The VM series has an excellent reputation around here.

6. I know that a lot of people would go for the VM, but I myself would choose the LTD; more tonal possibilities, and in my opinion, it just plain looks better.

Also, IME, LTD quality is better than that of the VMs. They are one hell of a Squier, but when the day's done, it is still a Squier: Although they have put out some very fair (and sometimes just plain great) basses, they are still, for the most part, an entry-level company. I own an LTD as well, and it far outstrips my Squiers... or any for that matter. But then again, just my opinion. :D

7. And the LTD isn't entry level?

The quality on them is iffy too. Our little local music shop is an LTD dealer and some of them come in quite nice and others....Well, let's just say not so nice.

8. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    P basses are one trick ponies.

that said, in this case I think it is probably the best choice.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Tough one, especially sight unseen. But, I think in this case the P bass would be the safest bet. Although the LTD does look great in the pic. The Ibanez is just too far down the list, even with the mean looking humbuckers, I think that one's the bottom of the barrel. Good luck.

10. Mcfunkinstein

Mcfunkinstein

Jun 22, 2008
    i know that you said the basses arent in the same city but i still think it would be best to take her to some stores have her find out which one is best for her because you do have to take quality in to account but comfort too is really big alot of ppl say warwicks are amazing however i find them quite uncomfortable personally so while some say the ltd is best she might find the p more comfortable and therefore want that one so in the long run it would be worth it

11. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    If you're favoring a P Bass (the sound fits anywhere), I'd also look at the Squier Classic Vibe 60's P Bass (daphne blue). I've been very impressed with construction and quality.

12. It's a pretty good trick though. Darned good trick.

13. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    +1

VM P All the way

14. Andrejs-
    I'd recommend the P. Most bass players will own one sooner or later. Plus it's a standard for tone, set up, parts, etc.

15. andrejs

andrejs

May 27, 2008
    thanks guys for help! Appreciate it!

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021