Help me identify this fretless G&L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassometer, Jan 2, 2016.

1. sugarsand

sugarsand

Mar 1, 2009
    california
    I have a fretless unlined G&L neck on an ASAT body, it looks similar wood wise and the same pilot holes, the filled tiny machine holes, same tuners. Mine is ebony, that looks like ebony to me, the craftsmanship is great on G&L usa necks. The ebony is hard as hell, no dead or over buzzy spots, I never did anything to my bass except play the hell out of it and it has zero problems The Mojave desert where my bass lives has temperature changes of up to 115 and back down to freezing and it takes it toll on micro adjusted necks. No problems with those necks. Mine is a three bolt which indicates an older neck. Ask to look at the neck plate. Don't take your cord out with the preamp off you can fry the pre amp chip.

Glazenn likes this.
  2. superbee66

superbee66

Jul 13, 2010
    View attachment 765026
    Yes, I believe it was a $400 option. I have an sb-1 with blue bowling ball finish. It only lasted a year or two because it was expensive and chips quite easily. Mine has some dime to quarter size chips in the finish.

theduke1 likes this.
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I agree. Here is part of the ebony fingerboard on a guitar I own.

Yamamoto MS12-114 013.jpg

Also, here is a photo of a camera I used to own that is made of ebony and titanium.

Ebony 45SUa.jpg

And, another Ebony camera, not mine, showing a close up of the back standard showing the streaking in the ebony.

SV45U 06.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  4. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    France
    This is not totally true, as they have a Custom Creations Department.
    G&L Custom Creations Department
    My son has a 2014 Savannah Collection Bluesboy Classic ASAT with this logo on the back of the headstock:
    CCD_logo_1inH.jpg
    However, it seems the ASAT Bass in the same collection does not have it.

5. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    France
    I too have installed coil tap switches on both my L2500 and my M2500. I plan to also have it on my ASAT Bass and already have the ON-ON-ON replacement switch. I like the single coil tone of the MFD in passive mode (I play them passive the vast majority of time). I also have a G&L SB-2, a Fender AVRI Jazz '62 and a Fender AVRI P '62, all are MIA, and I like them all equally. :smug:

theduke1 likes this.
  6. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Glazenn, how would you compare the passive tone of the M-series pickups to the L-series?

7. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    France
    Sorry, what I said above is partly wrong :crying:. I did install dual coil tapping on my M2500 (serial/outer single coil/parallel, separately for each PU - see picture below), but there was no passive option. Having two individual switches added subtle differences to the tone capabilities. I (mistakenly) sold the bass more than a year ago, the playability of that #10 neck was a dream (for a fiver).

My G&L M2500 Bass 2012 sn #0164176 DSCN2642 R.jpg

On the L2500, I replaced the two-position switch (OMG serial/parallel) with a three-position one (OMG serial/outer single coils/parallel). I am close to do the same (aka: K-switch) on my ASAT Bass.

I think I have not heard of any passive/active switch modding on a M series. The tone pots would not work without a preamp, right? Apart from making it totally passive.

8. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the response, Glazenn.

Glazenn likes this.
  9. sugarsand

sugarsand

Mar 1, 2009
    california
    This is random G&L pick up remark, I took the battery out for true bypass, in passive mode. With the battery out it changes in a good way, the output in passive mode, they are still plenty hot and you can get a cool gritty sound and fat and thick if you hit hard and with a stiff pick t get the strings really moving across the magnets. I like the MF pick ups that way ( no battery), rolled to the back PU easy to get Geddy Lee type sound, nice for recording straight to tape in studio. Great basses.

Glazenn likes this.
  10. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    France
  11. Lowness

Lowness Inactive

Mar 13, 2015
    Healdsburg, CA
    Hi

It is a fretless G&L.

Cheers

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021