1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help me identify this jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mavstang73, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Mavstang73

Mavstang73

Mar 3, 2008
    So I picked this up a few years back and was told it was a Fender jazz body.
    It didnt come with a neck and there are no markings under the pick guard and tone control cover.

Here are some pics. Eventually I'll pick up a neck and bring it back to stock but I'm stuck as to what stock should be.

f1f47703.
    8d21fa4b.
    2fa155ac.
    9dbadb52.

2. Dont know what it is, but it looks damn nice!!

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    How about a shot of the front with the guard and cover removed showing the routs underneath?

4. Mavstang73

Mavstang73

Mar 3, 2008
    Sure give me a couple minutes.

5. Mavstang73

Mavstang73

Mar 3, 2008
    Here you go guys and gals.

7c03d08b.
    de5179bf.
    974a41db.
    ce5d73f2.
    67c9f2a2.
    0a85f78e.
    720f34d2.

6. Mavstang73

Mavstang73

Mar 3, 2008
    Here is a couple more with the bridge and pickups removed.
    No markings on the bridge but under the neck pickup there is what looks like a piece of tape that is completely painted over.

10b2b5f7.
    ca499723.

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it looks like a fender '62 reissue MIJ sherwood green one with a basswood body to me.

IMO, the pots and jack are not original to that body, as well as, obviously, the pickups.

8. Mavstang73

Mavstang73

Mar 3, 2008
    Hmmm

Well the iphone distorts the color a little but its a blueish green with metallic flakes.

I just tried to weigh it and came up with 6.4 lbs.

Any idea what the UCB in the neck pocket means?

9. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    As usual, Johnk 10 is correct.

10. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    It seems like a Japanese RI body should have "JB 62" stamped into the pocket. I haven't seen/owned a ton of MIJ/CIJ Jazzes but every Precision I've owned had this type of designation, although most of them were 80's and 90's models.

11. Mavstang73

Mavstang73

Mar 3, 2008

I think you've got it too!!!!

I did a little searching with the info you provided and found this link K's Site - 1994 - 1995 Fender Jazz Bass Sherwood Green

The 2 are identical. Plus I now realize "UCB" is really "UGB" and one of the holes drilled into the neck was making it look like a C.

Do you guys have any more info to offer?

I think I paid around $200 for this. Always wondered if that was a good deal. Now I know to source a MIJ neck for it.
    I'll get rid of the active setup too. Something about unscrewing the cover to change a battery just seems odd to me.

12. Mavstang73

Mavstang73

Mar 3, 2008
    Oh and thanks.
    There are a couple of light scratches in the back and a ding in the neck area but a new pick guard will hide that.

13. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    judging by the grounding strip to the bridge its a 62 reissue.

14. Mavstang73

Mavstang73

Mar 3, 2008
    Wow

There are not a lot of MIJ necks out there.
    Going to be hard to find something that is as close to original as possible.
    I really want to thank everyone on here for their input and once again any other info you have to offer dont be shy.

15. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    You should pm michael_atw, he's a member here. I'm not affiliated with him, nor do I know him personally but he's got a nice inventory, offers VERY fair prices and is a great guy to deal with.

16. Mavstang73

Mavstang73

Mar 3, 2008
    Hey thanks I'll do that!!

17. Mavstang73

Mavstang73

Mar 3, 2008
    So I'm guessing the original setup on this guitar would have had stacked knobs?

18. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    No, I think it would've been a standard 3 knob. Also, you mentioned wanting to find a Japanese made neck for it, if your wanting rebuild it as close to stock as possible that's very cool. If you're not necessarily concerned with that and just looking for the best fit there are plenty of non MIJ/CIJ necks that should fit that pocket perfectly.

19. Mavstang73

Mavstang73

Mar 3, 2008
    I sent a pm to the member you suggested about a mij neck and will see what he has to say.

As for other necks I'm leaning towards mij of course or maybe a mia.

Since my guitar playing days I've never been a fan of the mim stuff.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a rosewood fingerboard and dot inlays would be the right match for this bass?
    I'm fond of the block inlay and rosewood fingerboard too but I don't think this bass would have come that way.
    I could be wrong on that as I found some pics of u2's bassist with an original 62 and the headstock was painted and I believe it had block inlays.

20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Not necessarily. I have a 1995/6 MIJ fretless Jazz that has the same routing, grounding and pickguard screw pattern. It's not a 62 RI.