1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help me identity this rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lordziros, May 29, 2012.

1. lordziros

lordziros

May 10, 2011
    easton pa
    I saw this last time I went to guitar villa for my lesson both me and my instructor were confused as to what kind it is exactly. Can anyone help me out

ForumRunner_20120529_071326.png

2. It's likely a 4001 or 4003 series, not sure which.

3. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
  4. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Does the headstock have walnut wings?

5. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    You don't normally see a skunkstripe with that pickup and pick guard combination if it is a late 60s 4001S .

6. lordziros

lordziros

May 10, 2011
    easton pa
    Hopefully the owner will be there today so I can ask the 1 pic looked pretty close except for the color though

7. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Hmm. There are some conflicting field marks there. It looks to me like a late '60s 4001S (or if it came through the U.K., then a Rose-Morris 1999 - super collectable), but the wide dark stripe is not typical at all. Note the other field marks could have been replacement parts: pickguard going all the way down to the treble pickup surround; holes to the right of the Toaster for the acrylic tug bar, Toaster and Horseshoe pickups. It could be a 4001V63 if the headstock was standard, or a 4001C64 if the headstock is reversed, but that darn wide center strip isn't normal. It could even be a Rickenfaker. Better pix would help me figure it out. I would need to see pix of the back, headstock, jackplate, and under the hood (pickguard and TRC) to determine if it is a real Rick or not. Some fakers are awfully close.

8. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Coolsville
    It looks like it wants to be a C63 or C64, but I thought they didn't even come with skunk stripes. And it's missing the gap in the bridge.

9. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Yes, it could be a V63 or C64, but shouldn't have the "skunk" (shedua) strip down the middle. Even still, the strip on this one is much wider than those usually seen in basses made between 1972 and 1982ish. Better photos should reveal all.

10. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    Curious! It is not listed on GV's website,but my impression is it may be one of those rare dot neck fakers from Matsumoku, with RIC parts added. It's a nice looking bass,whatever it is.

11. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    The body has a weird shape... don't look legit

12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    +1. the wide walnut stripe is making me wonder what it actually is too.

13. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    hahahaha looking from a low resolution computer the lower horn of the rick looked like it was connected to the CT's upper horn :ninja:

14. lordziros

lordziros

May 10, 2011
    easton pa
    the reason its not up on the site is it just came in last week and they take a while to update it

15. That's exactly the way I saw it.:D

16. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    How common is it for them not to have binding? I've seen a number without, but not usually in Fireglo

17. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    my V63 has a dot neck, no binding and it's in fireglo:

rickyv63-1.jpg

4003-V63-1.jpg

notice that there's no walnut stripe down the center of the neck on the V63 reissue, which is the same way that my '66 4001S was.

66-4001M.jpg

18. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    The skunk stripe was on Rick basses from 1972 'till the end of the 4001 around 1980.

19. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Looks like an Ibenez knock off. I could be wrong

20. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    If it is real, the skunk stripe is shedua, not walnut.