Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me in the search for new music

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Thurisarz, May 20, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I'm getting some new cd's when the big ol' check is coming and i'm interested in getting into some new music, especially where there's a great bassist too. The styles i'm thinking of is Jazz fusion, experimental/progressive rock, funk and also some great 90's rock/pop music.

Ok, just because you want some good cd's with a great bassist does not mean that you should have posted this hear. You are askings about what cd's are good and have good bass, hence, this should be in recordings, because a cd is a recording. Makes sense to me.

2. conk97

conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    well if u want something very strange yet very cool check out a british band called sikth.

They are well ummm very hard to explain but they are cool..and the bassist is very good :bassist:

3. Umm... you may have most of these already...

Cake
    Muse
    Blues Traveler
    Cream
    Weather Report
    King Crimson
    John Mayall's Bluesbreakers
    Colosseum
    Herbie Hancock's Headhunters

May have heard most of them, but still pretty good.

4. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Thanks everybody for your tips! Please write some more if you like :)

5. i would highly recommend some:

tribal tech- rocket science, thick, or illicit (killer stew of jazz-rock fusion!!! bassist gary willis is as cool as it gets in my book)

attention deficit- idiot king, and another one- i cannot think of the title (rock-fusion with some of my favorite bass sounds i have ever heard!!! i feel like i'm legally getting high everytime i listen to this stuff!!! michael manring on bass.)

the mars volta- frances the mute, de-loused in the comatorium (experimental rock?, the lead singer is one of those i think people either love or hate, but the music is very fresh and intense to my ears, very interesting stuff in those discs.)

another great way of finding good stuff to listen to is to find the players you already dig on and start researching who inspired THEM. that can uncover alot of music you will likely be inspired by that you might have missed out on previously.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You can get ALL of that with John Zorn's Naked City...check out Radio & don't let the 1st track hurt ya!

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    www.allmusic.com

This website is great if you don't know it. Check under the genres you are interested in, and they will throw some good ideas at you. :)

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    You need to check out some of the bands and musicians that are developing out of London's F-ire collective: www.f-ire.com For example:

Guitarist David Okumu's Jade Fox is fusing the free-funk of '70s Miles Davis with contemporary soul/rn'b

Ingrid Laubrook is fast becoming one of Britain's favourite tenor players.

Acoustic Ladyland are a raucous blend of Albert Ayler-sax playing/punk/funk/electronica, and are making serious ripples in the both the jazz and rock press. Some live video and audio here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/collective/A3971135

Tom Herbert is the bassist in many of the f-ire collective's bands: equally at home playing a straightahead walking line on double bass or a punk/funk line on electric bass.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yes, Tool, Oysterhead, Primus, and The Les Claypool Ferocious Flying Frog Brigade come to mind.

10. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Will get that when the next check is coming, those 1 min clips on amazon convinced me! Thank you for your tip :)

11. For experimental/proggressive, I could go on for days............I used to be a huge prog nerd( part of me still is)

Heres my suggestions:

Magma- crazy , insane, jazz prog.
    Genesis- quirky prog
    St Vitus- Doom , stoner metal
    The Hidden Hand- ditto
    Trivium - proggish, thrash metal
    Opeth-proggish metal
    Soundgarden-grunge
    Van Morrison - soulful jazzy stuff
    My Morning Jacket - Allman brothers esque southern rock
    Drive By Truckers - southern rock bar band
    Spooky Tooth- jazzy prog
    Argent - prog
    Emerson Lake and Palmer- the masters of wank
    Robert Johnson- spooky , demonic, bluesman from the 1930s....................very good.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Stone Temple Pilots - Tiny Music. Metallica - S&M.

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I recommend "Zoo Hypothesis" by Tub Ring, you could call them a Mr. Bungle-ish, I guess, except their lyrics are often about science. Great disc with some pretty daring arrangements and keyboards.

www.tubring.com has a couple of mp3s, if you like "The Promise Keeper", the album is probably for you.

14. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Check out Seemless- S/T...I just picked this up. Good heavy Rock n' Roll similar in sound to Clutch or Soundgarden. I think they have mp3s on their website.

15. Mahavishnu Orchestra
    Dream Theater
    Funkadelic

16. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    My recommendation is Captain Beyond's first album. Much goodness :)

(edit: i think it is the first album. cover has a person and a big crystal or something)

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Leanne-
    According to Circus magazine(sometime in '72 when that album came out), that 'big crystal' was supposed to be a chunk of cocaine...& the Captain is surfing throughout the galaxy on it!
    The original album/cover had that image in quasi-3-D...those of you old enough should remember some similar type of baseball cards that came in cereal boxes(the ball players weren't tossing around 'big crystals', though).
    In the late '70s, I let a friend borrow that album; he moved to Italy for a year & when he got off the plane I asked, "Where's my album"? His reply? "What album".
    Thankfully, the cd was issued domestically a few years back.

Anyway, the band is comprised of the original singer from Deep Purple, the drummer from Johnny Winter And, the bassist & guitarist are from Iron Butterfly.

Legend has it that Captain Beyond was one of the loudest ever Rock bands.