Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Me Mod My Project Bass!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Osztertag2112, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Jan 27, 2013
    Hey guys!!!!

So I've started a project bass build out of a cheapo bass i bought off a friend. The plan is to make it fretless, but i'd like to do some other mods too. Its a passive bass and i was thinking it might be cool to put an active preamp in it just to spruce it up a bit. Its got a p/j config now, what would be the best pick up and preamp options for a funky, honkey style tone. Also a side not, there is no scratch plate or anything so i doubt i could drop in a jazz style preamp or something

2. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    What kind of bass is it? Pics?

3. Register_To_Disable

4. InhumanResource

InhumanResource Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I dunno, sir! If you are pulling the frets out, you may want to try it passive first...change one thing at a time and see how you like it. If you go and pull the frets, change pickups and add a preamp all in one project and end up not liking the result it may be difficult to identify which bit is the offending component.

Recommend you try one change at a time, test each and make a decision on the next alteration from there. You might really love the passive sound with a fretless!

5. Audere preamp.

Fantastic preamp and fits behind the metal plate.

Davo