1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help me pick out a new head! i'm clueless!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Low_End_IIA_Vic, Apr 30, 2010.

1. i have about three hundred bucks to get a new head with. i need the head on saturday. the only problem is, i don't know what could power my Kallien Krueger GLX 8x10. it's a 4ohm cab and it can handle 800 watts i think? i play in a pop-rock band and we're playing bigger and bigger venues as time goes on. i'm looking at the gallien krueger backline 600 and the acoustic b200h, the b00h doesn't seem like it would be enough to power my cab.

2. The power rating of the cabinet should be thought of more as a limit.

Look into used gear, I'm sure you get get nicer GK amps used for that price. You can get powerful stuff from Peavey (used) in that price range too.

Leaving it a bit close to the bone if you want something on saturday tho! If you have a gig then, try and borrow an amp or make do with what you have (or heck, rent one for the day/night).

It probably isnt the wisest option just to dive in and buy a new amp in this manner, and I personally wouldn't consider getting either of those if you're going to be needing more power in the near future.

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    *bites tongue*

:bag: :D

4. TeamTrejo

TeamTrejo

Oct 12, 2008
    Franklin WI
    The Backline 600 is a decent head. It will give you 300 watts at 4 ohms.
    It might be best to bring your cab into the store and try a few out.

5. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    The BL600 would be an excellent choice. I used one with an 8 ohm GLX 410 and got plenty of volume. If you keep your eyes open, you might get lucky and find an 800RB for three bills.

6. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
  7. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
  8. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    well I figured I'd at least mention it. He may be able to squeeze out an extra $50.

9. that head is actually five hundred bucks at guitar center, if i were to bring in a printout and a URL from musicians friend i could get it for 10% off of musicians friends price at guitar center with the promotion they have going now. i tried out that head and it just sounded bad. i tried it first with an active bass and i was like wow this sucks. it was all distorted and nasty. then i realized the pad wasn't on so i turned it on, and it sounded the same only quieter. i thought the overdrive channel was on but it wasn't. I'm going to bring in my own bass today and see if it sounds any better with that. if not, they just dropped the price on the acoustic B600H [=