1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me sort my Gecko 5 thoughts and ideas :-)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kurcatovium, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Ever since I saw picture in this post I believe this is the right place to ask. I'm considering ordering a custom one and before I make my (stupid?) move I'd love to hear some advices and suggestions from you guys, especially from tubby.twins who seems to have A LOT of experience with medium Gecko's.

First of all I'd like to get corrected in my thoughts and opinions. I'd like some exotic woods on neck which is not very surprising, considering Warmoth offers so many exotic woods...

I like red color so I think bloodwood could be used as shaft wood to match my red color love. I once had Warmoth with bloodwood fingerboard which was awesome, great feel similar to ebony, very smooth and it looked really great. But I'm not sure how'd it be as shaft wood? There's also padauk, which is usually red too, but I have no experience with it. Is it as smooth as bloodwood? Or more importantly, is it better as shaft wood? Or do you think this is complete nonsense and I should rather stick with regular wenge (I kinda like it too, but red is better :-D)?

Neck laminates would be probably "standard" bubinga, but surely I'll entertain other suggestions. I think those lighter laminates would look quite nice on red core wood.

Fingerboard is a bit tricky. As I already said I once had bloodwood fingerboard and it was cool, but I'm not sure if another bloodwood wouldn't make the neck "too red" or "too dull" (not sure of the right words, but I hope you get the point)? Maybe ebony would be better option? One thing I'm sure, I don't really like rosewood fingerboards, so it definitely won't be any rosewood there. If you have any other suggestions what would or would not look cool, just shoot it there.

Gecko inlay depends on final decision on the fingerboard. Bloodwood would look cool if it was ebony I think, not sure if the inverse combination would look cool too. In case of red fingerboard I think something lighter would look better, maybe goncalo or maple?

Despite kind of exotic neck, I'd like to keep body pretty minimalistic. I'm thinking of swamp ash or possibly walnut? Not really sure I'd need any top, but if so, I'd probably stick with something usual as flame maple. Spalt maple might be also option and zebrawood looks also cool. But those are in my opinion a little too much extravagant. I'd probably stick with simple swamp ash with dyed finish with enhanced grain. Color could be from honey like to dark red. As always, not sure about it :-D

:bag:

2. Will appreciate any help. Thanks!

3. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    I did alotttttt of warmoth research, digging, visual concepts, and everything else required that I know youve been obsessing over :)
    ( I ended up getting a roscoe, but after I finish my 2 current warmoth projects I WILL have a gecko)

Bloodwood , ive heard, is reliable for neck shafts, and many love padouk though the latter often ends up less red

I heard a story, about a bloodwood fb on wenge having a crazy backbow because of a moisture difference.. Look it up here on tb, but grain of salt. It seems an isolated incedent, and warmoth is topgrade such that I don't think youd have any problem, especially with a gecko neck

4. Thanks for those words and I'll look on the wenge/bloodwood thing here...

Also, do you (any of you) know why there are almost none Gecko bodies/necks in showcase?

5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I don't know how much sitting balance matters to you but in my recent inquiries about a gecko Eric at Warmoth (a gecko player himself and their resident gecko expert) advised me to go with a 4lb body to get hands free balance when sitting.

6. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Cause they get bought ;)
    There used to.be alot, but it probably makes more sense not to pre-make stuff that people want SO personalized

7. Yes, I intended using not so light body to compensate weight of those exotic neck woods. Regular swamp ash should be about those 4 lbs I think.
    Yes, I remember seeing a lot of them there. Now there's only one black body one with super-ugly spruce top (speaking of medium size) and couple of unrouted korina ones (two of them looks kinda nice).

Also I gave the neck second thought and I think all bloodwood is not the way to go. I'd definitely go for bloodwood fretboard (with black gecko inlay), but now I don't know what wood use for shaft. Wenge? Bubinga? Goncalo? Pau Fero? Heck, there are lots of woods... :-D

8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Wenge seems like a popular neck choice. It's the one I've been long leaning towards.

9. OK, I was leaning to wenge lately myself.

Well, let's change subject a little. Does anyone here got gecko with MM pickup at sweet spot? Is that a good choice?

10. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    If you like the sound of a musicman, routing for a MM pickup in that location, will make it sound more like one than other pickups and locations.

11. Well, I'm finally getting somewhere. I just discovered bloodwood is not an option as shaft wood for necks with angled headstock. So now to find something to replace it...
    Bocote, bubinga, goncalo alves, purpleheart? If I can't get red I'd like at least something really dense with small pores, just like bloodwood or ebony is, without need of finishing. Any experience with those woods mentioned above?

12. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    I'm speaking unofficially here. I'm not an employee or spokesman for Warmoth.

The only woods which have been available for Gecko neck shafts are those which can be safely laminated together with the 5-piece shaft as well as the scarf joint for the headstock.

Generally speaking, you won't see any Gecko necks which have shafts that are constructed of ebony, bloodwood, pau ferro, bocote or goncalo alves. I've been told by those who know that these woods generally are too dense and not porous enough to hold together the scarf joint for a Gecko neck.

Many of these woods are used in the laminated "stringers" of Gecko necks and they seem to work just fine in that role. But for the primary wood as well as the angled piece for the headstock, it probably isn't going to happen.

Most of the time, Gecko necks are made of maple and wenge because these woods are commonly available, and can be laminated with sufficient strength to make a scarf joint that lasts. However, in the past Warmoth has made Gecko necks of the following woods: canary, purpleheart, bubinga, rosewood and zebrawood. I know because I own at least one example of each of these woods.

These woods are not always available for Gecko neck blanks, and usually your selection is limited to the standard neck blanks (maple and wenge) or whatever they happen to have in stock at any particular moment. I get the impression that Warmoth likes to surprise all of us by making some really interesting and unique one-offs for Gecko necks, if and when the right woods become available, strong enough to do the job, have the right size and properties to make a Gecko neck blank, etc. I've learned to trust their judgment when it comes to what works (and what doesn't) and have found some really interesting treasures along the way.

Your best option is to call Warmoth and ask if there are any exotic (i.e. non-standard) neck blanks available for a Gecko neck project. I've worked with a number of people (especially wyliee) who have helped me to realize some of these custom Gecko necks, based on neck blanks that were assembled (or about to become so); others have been lucky finds in the Showcase when they happened to appear. Prepare to be surprised!

13. Thank you guys for your advices! Unfortunately current expenses won't let me order as soon as I'd like, so at least I have some more time to think...