Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me spec a custom stomp box

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Toasted, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I know we talk about OD alot here, but ive done a search and havent found any threads like this!

Im having a custom overdrive built. so far i know that its going to be

Valve based

hard wire true bypass

have a wet / clean mix dial

What else do you think is appropriate? Were still in very early planning atm, so give me anything wet wild and wonderful!

(ps: anyone think of a name for a really smooth, but really crunching OD?)

2. I would suggest a bass eq knob, unless you don't want any bass in your distortion, which is cool too. but definatly a bass eq, maybe a high eq and quite possibly a mid eq.
    if you want something wet wild and wonderful, i would throw in a built in autowah or pitch shifter. of course, you would probably be going in the direction of a wah pedal or unibass respectively.
    maybe a two stage distortion would be cool, I don't know if that is the proper term for it though. you know, like first kick in a distortion, and than kick in another distortion to really rock out! now that would be cool.
    Charlie

3. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    I know I'd like more of my effects to have a mix (wet/dry) knob.

4. the only thing i can add is a mid eq and frequency adjuster. The mids are IMHO the most important part to the sound.

5. JES

JES Supporting Member

wet/dry = good

low, sweepable mid and high eq customized for your bass and style.

separate output volume so that you can get blistering distortion and not overdrive the input on your amp . . . unless you want to.

a second gain stage (a la Fulltone) so that you can go from a bit of overdrive to blistering overdrive.

a really cool paintjob.

--JES

6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Well, the "Toasted Weed" actually sounds catchy - plus if you add a second switchable gain stage it can go to "Shredded Weed"!

7. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    "Captain Crunch"