Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me start a band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassbully43, Aug 9, 2005.

1. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Well........ maybe. I am an older cat family kids the whole 9 and just lovin playin bass. I'm a good to average player without alot of confidence but lookin to get into the action. I found a guy who's a drummer and just last year he got a kit (new).I have never heard or seen him play. We are talking about getting together to start something this week or real soon. He tells me he went to a party last week and met a couple of guitarists who one is interested in playing with us... The drummer and i have had little time to even talk what kind of music we like or want to play and the guitarist i dont know anything about.Im glad we are getting the ball rollin but with the info i gave you guys and i have what direction should i take when we get together? I started this idea and asked the drummer first so its like i might be the guy they look to for what and why are we here kinda thing. Im looking to start an oldies kinda rock blues funk using covers or anything we write but i'm open to anything but heavy rock or rap.i am just confused on the direction...should we just meet with gear talk the songs and styles and start playing jamming over a steady 4/4 beat and break the ice? I have not been in a band since high school (27years )and we sucked anyhow.......thanks for any help you give me.

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    You're in the same situation I was in just two-or-so years ago!

Our classic rock trio practiced for a little over a year, for two nights a week, before we played-out. I know that's pretty long, but we had a pretty decent groove, and plenty of songs, by the time we got out there.

One thing that we did right was to make a killer demo CD to sell ourselves with. We were booked-up almost every saturday for like five months, before we played our first bar-gig! (we had only played a couple private parties before that). We charged $300 per gig, and split the dough; I made over $1500 in that first stretch of gigs!

Go for it!

Joe

3. Yeah - get an idea of some songs together first so you're not just wasting time.

I'd say why not go out for a beer, or some coffee or whatever and hang out a bit and talk with the drummer and guitarist first, see if you get along etc. You can get some songs you all like (and maybe know already) together first, and then get together to jam.

I think that'll make the first jam a lot more fun and productive.

4. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Thanks, the problem i guess is what songs? I dont know the level of playing and what type of music they like or know. I guess i will have to go by the seat of my pants approach and wing it. I thought hey everybody knows Iron man by BS so maybe thats a starrt but not a song i want to do. I think the beer and talk approach is good and might be the start. Any suggestions on songs that are an easy start and and are at a level of playing somewhat level to each player simple bass ,drum guitar?

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    How'bout put together a CD with a little variety for everyone, get together for a short introductory/brainstorming meeting with them to pick-out a few, and then everyone goes home with their disk to learn the tunes; a few days later you can get together all ready-to-go.

Just about everywhere I play is a dump.

...Like - you don't mean, like, literally THE TOWN DUMP, do you?

Joe

6. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Great ideas! I will know more when i hear the level of playing we each have. A simple groove can say alot.The brainstorming can tell alot on our direction or are we just getting together to jam. I want to work on a band and grow in to a giging band.I am not interested in recording just playin out....maybe they want more maybe they want less?

7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Y'gotta record at least once! A good demo is what got us going.

Joe

8. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    A demo of covers? How did it help...was it basicly a way for clubs to hear the quality of your music?

9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Exactly! Here's a link to our "MilwaukeeRocks" page - You can link to three of the demos (lower-quality MP3s) right from this milrocks homepage...
    http://www.milwaukeerocks.com/showbanddetail.asp?BandID=4475

I'm tellin' ya: we got gigs from these recordings! -even before we ever played-out.

Joe

10. Make sure you LIKE the guys before making big plans and investing a lot of time with them.

Trust your instincts and just jam with them for awhile. See who is trying to take over as the leader, who is late or doesn't show up to practice, who has higher or lower priorities for the band, who gets along etc.

Anything that is a problem when you are garage rockers will be amplified (all the way to eleven) when you are depending on them for gigs.

The worst thing you can do is play music you don't like, and hang out with guys you don't like or can't trust for a year just because they fell into your lap as a band. Keep an open eye and don't be afraid to speak up or find a new project.

All this cautionary tale stuff aside, sometimes it just happens like that and everything works out right the first time! I just say all this because in my experience, guitarists are about a 5:1 flake to cool guy ratio. Drummers aren't much better.

It sounds like you are going to be the leader, so just organize some jams and get an idea of what people bring to the table in style, influence, ambition, mix, tone, vocals, experience, gear, personality etc. etc. before you decide on what direction to go musically. That's my two cents.

11. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    B note and others great advice. Thanks...yea i guess as of now i am the leader. The drummer is ..............my wife's ex husband :eek: I know him some and we get along as well as my wife and him so i hope it works. He got a kit last Xmas form his new wife and just got back to playing himself. I will take all the advice and layback and just take it where it goes. Beside the bulletin board basses wanted here in my town is there any online sites for people looking for bands or gigs? I think if they are a serious as me and we get along and play decent we can add to the group. If not i will be searching for a band again.