Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me to decide......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TribalEagle, Apr 1, 2005.

1. TribalEagle

TribalEagle

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland EU
    :help:

First of all I`m from Finland so my english is very poor. Please forgive me. :crying:

My problem is kind of simple. I have played bass about ten months, and now I`m thinking of buying new bass.
    I`m now playing 4-string which I made my self.
    I have no other bass, and now when I`m playing in a band I must take the bass with me many times in a week. There is allways a possibility that it gets broken. It`s a very dear memory to me about starting playing and reminder of something what I can do totally my self.
    I`m allso very interested in more than 4-strings. I want my second one to be a 5- or 6-string. I am quite sure that I`m going to use the low b, and I think I will found some use for the c to.
    But I`m still not sure which one????
    I have heard that the five is more comfortable to play and it should be easier to four at the side of the five. But if I take the 6-string challenge at this point, and might find ìt to be just right for me. And then there is the point that you can play allmost everything with the six. How confusing....
    My playing style is quite heavy. I like to play powerfull bass lines with my fingers, and I want my bass to be heard. I love playing Metallica, especially Cliff Burtons songs. I know that u don`t really need more than 4-strings to Metallica but their own bass players (Jason did, Robert does) still use fiver. But with my own band I will need the low b, and that`s why four is not an option.
    I`m a gollege student, so my funding is low. So the bass should not be expencive. For me that is not like "about 1000€", more like under 300€. My current allternatives are Peavey, Ibanez and on the top of my own list is a cheap brand called Harley&Benton. It`s a trade mark of European music house Thomann, and their prices are quite right for me.
    Their 5-string Harley&Benton HBB500TBK is my other possibility.
    [​IMG]
    And the 6-string is the other one.
    HARLEY BENTON HBB600TBK
    [​IMG]
    The five is 166€ and the six is 177€, so they are very cheap.
    You can see that they are quiate same, only different number of strings. They both have very good user rewievs so they should be fairly good compared to the price.

So give me your opinnions, I apressiate them very much. Should I buy other Harley ore do you have some better ideas.....???? Every comment is very usefull.
    I`m balancing between these options, one day I sure that I need only the five, but next day I think that go straight to thge six. I hope that you can help me solve the problem....................... :help:

2. TribalEagle

TribalEagle

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland EU
    Anybody...................................??? :bawl:

3. If your budget is 300 Euro, why not save another 30 euro and get both?

4. TribalEagle

TribalEagle

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland EU
    I don`t think that I`m going to by them both....attleast not yeat.... I`m thinking of spending rest of the money to some cheap pedal. Maby to new Behringer when they come out.
    And student has allways something to put his money on........

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well, if you get the six, you'll have all the strings you need. If you get the five, you may find yourself saying "I wish I got the six for the extra string". I say go for the six.

-Mike

6. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    I second that. If you see yourself going extended - go as extended as you want, right away. No use doing it in increments. Might as well starg getting used to a sixer right now...

As for brands - never heard of H&B - then again, I'm not in Europe. Ibanez makes some great budget models. Cheaper Peavies left me unimpressed. Yamaha makes some nice no-frills models at that price range too. Good luck!