1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help Me Wire My Rig, Pretty Please :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThatLowEnd, Aug 12, 2012.

1. ThatLowEnd

ThatLowEnd Dirt, Trucks, BBQ, Whiskey

Apr 14, 2012
    Down In The Delta
    Has been/Never was
    I am having a hard time deciding what the best way to wire my rig together is. Please see the picture below. I have:
    Sansamp RBI
    DBX 266XL comp/gate
    Ashly QX572 Para EQ
    BBE 362SW Maximizer
    QSC PLX1804

I am new to some of this gear and really appreciate the help in advance.
    Thanks TB
    :hyper::bag:

2012-08-12175401.

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I like simplicity, so I would run the RBI into the QSC and call it done. Maybe run the comp/gate at the head of my signal. I have no idea where you should put BBE and Ashly in the chain.

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    That's alotta rig......

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Geez! That's basically a standard PA (except the Sansamp RBI).

I know this doesn't answer your question but why the need for all of that? As said above.....preamp to power amp and call it a day! What cab/cabs are you running this into?

5. ThatLowEnd

Apr 14, 2012
    Down In The Delta
    Has been/Never was
    Thank you for the responses. I use a LDS 2x12 +2x6 cab. We are playing a private party this week for Nikka Costa and Adam Lambert and I thought I might go all out, maybe over doing it it seems LOL

6. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

This is a fairly complex set up. If you are new to components, I suggest you start with the pre-amp into the power amp and do not add anything else until you decide you really need it.

If, however, you are determined to use this gear:

1. bass
    2. sansamp input
    3. effect send
    4. channel A of comp (set up as comp)
    5. channel A of para
    6. effects return
    7. sansamp output
    8. channel B of comp (set up as hard limiter)
    9. power amp

I would skip the sonic maximizer all together. Don't overdo it with the eq. Adding a para-eq to your rig can be very effective if you learn how to use it. Otherwise, it can be a world of hurt. Really, all you need is a couple of fully parametric filters on top of the eq on the sansamp to addess any eq concern that may arise.

7. ThatLowEnd

Apr 14, 2012
    Down In The Delta
    Has been/Never was
    thats great advice, and pardon my ignorance, but how exactly would i set up the dbx in the way you mentioned?

8. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Each channel of the DBX has it's own input and output and can be setup as dual mono.

Please see the ovnilab faq on how to use compression and limiting.

9. ThatLowEnd

Apr 14, 2012
    Down In The Delta
    Has been/Never was
    Got it all set with the exception to the ashly and BBE which I have taken out. Thank you for the prompt responses. Sounds great at low volume but the true test will be tomorrow night at practice.

Cheers!:bassist:

10. beef_supreme

beef_supreme

Mar 24, 2013
    Euless, TX
    I am relatively new here, but not to bass gear or playing in general. HOWEVER, having just brought a compressor into the mix, (a DBX 266 unfortunately) I am curious about your above statement about running A side as comp into B side as a limiter. What benefits do you see from using this method rather than just running the comp alone. ALSO, I noticed that running my compressor in the effects loop of my amp SEEMS to have no affect. I can see the comp working but when you adjust the output gain or anything for that matter, I get no discernible change in tone.

My setup is pretty simple.
    Ibanez SR Series (Bartolini PU)
    Peavey Tour 700
    DBX 266
    Ampeg 6x10SVT

Sad thing is....is when I was playing with it in the loop, it sounded so good...and was like "wow this is how it should be" until I realized I was getting nothing from the compressor. So I will be upgrading to something better, but I am mainly curious about using 2CH compressors as a CH1comp>>CH2Lim and the effects loop issue.

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Put the Ashley and the crapinator in your FOH rig ( The BBE actually sounds pretty nice on vocals).

Run the SansAmp by itself with the QSC. If you want compression, get a pedal like the TLC.