1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help!! Mr Aged Horse...prob with 9.2 shuttle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass7858, Oct 7, 2013.

1. bass7858

bass7858

Apr 11, 2009
    central florida
    Hello Sir,
    Bought new shuttle 9.2 from the bass place in Arizona.It arrived last Friday and I just got around to unboxing it and testing.
    With a passive j bass plugged in I am getting nothing but distortion...much like playing through a fuzz pedal. I have tried multiple gain/volume/master setting to no avail.
    also tried unplugging and replugging everything.
    anything else I can try?
    thanks if u have time to help me

2. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    I have nothing to add here! I just wanted to say Hi to Agedhorse! Long time, no talk to!

3. bertbass666

bertbass666

Mar 6, 2009
    I also have nothing to add but Agedhorse is a super chap and I'm sure he'll help if he can.

4. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Have you tried contacting The Bass Place?

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If you buy a new amp and it doesn't work properly you return it and get one that does. Quite possibly if you even open the case your warranty is void.

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Duds happen, even with Genz Benz. Contatct seller.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    +1... they're said to be a stand up distributer, from what I've heard... I'm sure Genz Benz will stand behind their amp, but you'll likely get satisfaction from the seller, too...

- georgestrings

8. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    The tube might need to be re-seated or is bad.

9. bass7858

bass7858

Apr 11, 2009
    central florida
    Just spoke with Lee at The Bass Place and he said box it up and ship it back to him and he's send another!! Yippee:hyper:

10. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    That's what ya shoulda done in the first place. :D

I'm glad you are being looked after. I expected nothing less from a GB distributor.

11. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Most likely cause is the effects loop return jack not fully seated or a defective tube. Lee's a great guy, always does right by the customer from everything I have seen.

12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Hey man, good seeing you around here too!

13. bass7858

bass7858

Apr 11, 2009
    central florida
    So pm'd agedhorse and he was as always extremely helpful and dead on.
    He first said try cycling the effects jacks a couple times to see if that cured it, no go.
    Then he said to plug the bass into effects return.
    AHHHH!! nice clean tone!! Albeit not a lot of volume which he told me there would not be.
    So I guess its a pretty good possibility either the tube needs re-seated or replaced. He offered to change the tube out!!

Mild dilemma! Lee at The Bass Place offered to change the head out. I fell pretty good that the tube is the issue and am not afraid to change it out myself or reseat it.

I Have also read where agedhorse (I believe) said that opening the top to change or check the tube would not void the warranty.
    Anyways...guess i'll give Lee a call when he opens up and talk to him about it.
    Is there any special screw driver or techniques for taking the screws out so they don't get marred or chipped etc?

14. Janis K.

Janis K.

Sep 17, 2006
    Germany
    If it's really the tube (and it sounds like it is), then it's an easy 5 minute job. Had to replace the tube in my Shuttle 9.0 some time ago, too.
    Just use a normal screwdriver (preferably in a fitting size ofc) and be a bit careful, it really isn't rocket science. ;)

15. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    You could always ask Lee if he will cross ship your replacement. That should save some time.

16. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    #2 Phillips for the lid screws.

17. uncle mdp

uncle mdp

Oct 20, 2011
    Chicago
    Hi agedhorse. I sold my Streamliner 900 to a guy in CA. Everything worked perfect when I shipped it.
    He says the Blue LED's didn't work when he plugged it in. Not sure what happened, but would like to make it right for him.
    If I had him ship it to you, could you repair it, and iff so, what would the cost be.

18. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Not a problem, I will PM you later this morning.

uncle mdp likes this.