HELP!!! On EMG pups!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kelly Lee, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I bought a set of what I thought were EMG PJ pups online from Ebay for a really good price ($96). Well, they arrived finally but the box says its a P5J set :( not the standard 4 string PJ set. They fit my standard PJ openings and don't know if there is a physical size difference between the two sets. The big question is, am I screwed or can I still use them with no problem :confused: Thanks in advance.

Here is a link to the auction if it helps:EMG - P J BASS GUITAR PICK-UPS SET - NEW -
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    they're the same physical size as the 4 string version. The J pickup is the same in both 4 and 5 strings set. From what I know, the main difference is that one of the P coils is designed to cover three strings when used in a 5 string bass rather than 2 in a 4 string.
  3. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    So, will that special P coil be a problem or will it work fine? Has anybody here used the P5J set in place of the PJ set?
  4. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ought to work just fine, only difference may be in sound.

5. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Hmm, would it screw up my string-to-string balance as far as volume maybe? Thats the only thing then that concerns me. I'm sure the tone itself probably wouldn't change that much knowing EMGs.
  6. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi there,
    EMG tech support... they're always been very good on answering my question!!!

7. I recently bought and installed what was supposed to be a p5j set. After installation the output on the A string on my bass was lower than the rest. After a call to tech support at EMG the p pickup was a 4 string model. The local Emg dealer tells me it may be a six week wait for a replacement. Sheesh.
    By the way, the EMGs sound freakin' killer! (except for the A string)
  8. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Perhaps Kelly and Budreau ought to trade... might work out well for both of you guys.