Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help on new Ampeg!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basstard1, Jul 29, 2005.

1. basstard1

basstard1

Mar 12, 2005
    Hi, i'm about to buy an ampeg b100r combo from the u.s (I am in the u.k) via music123.com as they are considerably cheaper then in england (£280 + p+p vs. £550) and I know that there is a difference in voltage, 110v (u.s) and 220v (u.k) (???). But how can I convert the voltage from a u.s plug to a 3 pin standard u.k plug? :help: :eyebrow: Cheers

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Not a good plan....

The B100R, unlike most of our larger units, does NOT have a "universal" transformer in the US units. (Many Ampeg units DO have a 100/120/220/230/240V 50/60Hz transformer in all versions)

While an external "step-down" transformer will provide US voltage, it will not change the 50Hz UK mains frequency. US mains are 60 Hz, which allows a somewhat lighter transformer for the same output. The 50Hz requires a heavier iron core and/or different windings.

The 60Hz transformer will be "unhappy" at 50 Hz. Depending on voltage, it may draw excess current and overheat, even blow the fuse (or open the circuit breaker). You may "get away with it" much of the time, but if there happens to be a voltage surge, you may have a problem.

Incidentally, going the other way is OK. Virtually any 50Hz transformer works fine at 60Hz.

3. Does it have this kind of multi-trafo or is it a fixed 110V/60Hz ?
    I mean the "old" SVT-III, not the SVT-III Pro.

I havent found this info anywhere... (or the amp schematics, or user manual, no nothing)

Please, you who know it all about ampegs, cast a light over my ignorant shadows !!

Thanks in advance!!

4. Erm, it'll work out being about the same price im affraid

because, you have to pay 11.5% import tax on the item cost and postage

then you pay VAT (17.5%) on the item cost, postage AND import tax

(yeah, the government tax's thier tax, bastards!)

oh, and then Royal Mail charges you a "Clearance Fee" for no apparent reason . . .

In the end it isnt that much cheaper, and what if something goes wrong? or you have to return it, to the US

However, if you dont care about that, you could just get a good stepdown transformer

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    That doesn't fix the 50Hz vs 60 Hz issue. it isn't always a problem, but it CAN be a problem depending on local voltage. You may have to run on a somewhat lower voltage than normal to avoid problems.

As far as the SVT-III, the old bill of materials shows the same power transformer part number for the US and UK export unit, so it IS a dual voltage unit.

I don't have re-wiring details at hand, but a decent technician can get the "dual primary windings" put in series correctly for the higher mains voltage.

And, I have a reasonably decent PDF file of the user manual, If you want a copy, PM me your email address. Its a bit under a 300K file.

6. You have made me a happy 240Volt bassist, Jerrold!
    As for the manual, I got an ultra-fast response from SLM electronics after I mailed a request for the manual's inclusion at ampeg.com, in a matter of _minutes_ I had it in my inbox :eek:

thanks so much anyway for your news about svt-iii's transformer ! :hyper: