1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help out a newby?

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Nova221, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Nova221

Nova221

Aug 14, 2013
    Can anyone help me figure out away to memorize the first 7 fret names it would really help alot

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!

I used to teach lessons to as many as 30+ students. The best was I found was simple finger exercises while saying the names out loud. Google the term "permutations" with respect to fretting. Just practice the different combinations of fingers while saying the names of the notes out loud. Move these exercises up and down the fretboard and in no time you will have more coordinated fingers and a working knowledge of the whole board!

Warning: These exercises will be BORING! But they are worth it in the long run.

3. Nova221

Nova221

Aug 14, 2013
    I've been playing for 8 months and I have very good dexterity I have no problem playing rifts walking ect.. It's just I don't know the fret names but thank you for your tips and I will try them:)