1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help: Out of Retirement - Cigar Box Rock

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by slurpy, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Hey TB, it's been a while.

It's been about 8 years since I transitioned from a gigging bassist (playing mostly rock n roll, punk, new wave etc) into a "responsible" adult and at home hack, however I've been pulled out of retirement and I'm struggling a bit with the brief I've been given.

A rock n roll cigar box guitar player tracked me down and asked me to write/record bass for his new song.

The brief is:
    "not 16ths"
    "not straight 12 bar blues"

I've got the pre-chorus/chorus and bridge sorted but can't find a groove for the verses.

Can anyone point me to some resources that might help me get my head around the style a bit more.

Thanks.

2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    That's a pretty tall order without any of us having heard the song ... don't ya think?

Groove Master and Lobster11 like this.
  3. sorry mate, should have been more clear (its 2am on a nightshift, my brains starting to go)...don't have the demo at work to upload but if you know of any similar artists you can point me to in the meantime that'd be appreciated. Most cigar box stuff I've found is more traditional country, and the rock n roll/blues rock stuff is just guys playing at home with no band.

4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Similar to what? Who? Get some sleep, post a clip. Someone here can surely help ya.