1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help picking first head/cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Harris2016, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Harris2016

Harris2016

Oct 14, 2013
    I'm new here, but I'm planning on buying my first "real" amp, so to speak. Since I started taking up bass four years ago, I just played by myself in my room, whether it be practicing songs or theory stuff. I want to be able to jam with a few of my friends, but I don't really know anything about amps.

I need some advise. The only thing I know is that people told me to try and avoid combo amps.

My budget is $800-$1000, and I usually play hard rock and metal music.

Also, how are Fender and peavey bass amps?

Thanks all.

2. Go out and try everything.

IMHO I would look for a used 300-500 watt amp, and a good 410 or 215.

Per the fender and peavey amps. They both have a few gems out there, but there are also a few duds as well. IMHO a used VB-2 would be a great amp to pick up if you are set on getting a tube amp.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I 100% agree. Shop used, try as much as you can, and shoot for an amp in the 300+ watt range, and a good 2x12 or 2x15. (not a fan of the 4x10, but there are some good ones).