Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help please... I need to build a "small rig"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tecx, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Ok... I am settled on the Aggy GS112 (300w 2 8ohms), it has what I need... But I am having trouble comming up with a compatible compact head in my price range, which is under 700 clams...

I need a simple basic amp, that is fairly transparent... I am not really looking for a hi-fi sound, I like olld school tone...

Here is what I have been considering...

Ampeg porta bass 250 (its only 150w @ 8ohms though :crying: )
    Tech 21 Landmark 300 (its ollly 200w @ 8ohms)

Help please... Any sujestions would make my day, I play mostly abstract Avant Garde type music... But I also do duby/repeditive art rock stuff as well..

Alex

ps. my guitarist plays a very bass friendly 25 watt tube amp...

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Seriously? You can't find a head for that cab in your price range? How long have you been looking? Look harder bro. Check the for sale forums here first. Then check the other popular on-line forums for selling music gear. eBay has alot also.

I would think you would be happy with something from GK, Hartke, Peavey, and a few others. Those all can be had for under $700 easy.

-Mike

3. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    it needs to be portable... very portable... like the portabass or walkabout...

alex

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
  5. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    There are quite a few Portabass heads on eBay as well. One dude has the Portabass with an Ampeg 212 for $900 total. The cab weighs 38 pounds, and the head only weighs 14. Now that is portable for sure!

Both items have manufacturers warranty remaining. 4.5 years on the head, 1.5 years on the cab.

-Mike

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    A 2x10 cab at 8ohms and string 'em up so they go to 4ohms total? That'd bring the power right out, and a 2x10 is pretty portable.

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I second the Walkabout. Awesome amplifier. You would do well to look into it. Also check out the Euphonic Audio iAMP350. Different sound then the Mesa. Clearer with a tighter low end.

9. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    damnit!!! I really want an Iamp 350, but they stoped making it... and the 800 is too much power and too much money...

Alex

10. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    But worth every penny! :smug: The 350 can be had for $400-500 or so on the used market and 350 watts is the minimum that I would use to drive a pair of Aggie 112's. Just my two cents... ;)

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    There is an iAmp 350 combo on eBay right now. Never been used, and has a factory warranty on it. Looks very portable to me. Plus, you can add your Aggie to it.

-Mike

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    They have replaced the iAmp 350 with the iAmp 500. It lists for $1,200 US. Probably won't find it used though, it just came out.

13. GK 700 RB?
    16 pounds
    320 watts @8 ohms
    one on ebay starting at 300$.

GLenn

14. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Ok this is posted on both post dealing with my problem...

This is what I am doing:

Getting rid of the big 6 space SKB, and putting everything into a 4 space (mabey 5 so I can have a vent for the poweramp) rack bag. I need to get one with a strap.

Getting hid of my hugungus 15" and going with an aggy gs12... Super compact, and I can get onother one down the road...

I am thinking about replacing my Sound Tech PL200, with the new model - stx200... Same specs but at 4ohms bridged it can get 1000w, where as mine can not handle 4 ohms... So at home I can use 1 aggy at 200 watts, and a larger gig I can use 2 12"s at 1000 watts...

So anyone need a 6 space mint SKB rotorack?.. or a trade for a rack bag?..

Alex

ps. thank you all so very much for all your help, I really apriciate it...

pss. I am thinking about getting a luggage dolly for the pedalboard and cab...