help pls!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by neo_loverboy, Jul 9, 2004.

1. neo_loverboy

Jul 9, 2004
    newbie...starting out with a bass..whats the best+basic+costing less than $40 'gadget' that can help me tune my bass and play with some basic effects... please help me..
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    For that money you're not going to get the best of anything.

But the Zoom 506II goes used for $40 and under, so that's probably your best bet.

Good luck!
  3. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    for tuning, try: your EAR
    for effects, try: varying techniques with the RIGHT HAND

an A 440 tuning fork should run you a couple bucks.
  4. Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    if you know a right hand technique that sounds like a decent distortiob, tell me how
    or a technique that sounds like an autowah? flanger/phaser?
  5. Go with the Zoom 506 II. Its cheap, has a passable tuner and plenty of effects. Just don't expect it to last very long, other than that, its a decent low cost unit. I used mine on stage and in the studio for almost 2 yrs, before it started to have some issues.
    P.S. - the ability to use your ear will come in time, just stick with it. You are starting an adventure that will prove to be challenging, rewarding, and a whole lot of fun.
    Welcome to the bottom end. :bassist:

6. The best gadgets aren't free!!! Was your tonebone free?
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Chill guys.

Depends what you want to get out of your bass? The best things I can recommend for under $40 are a DOD Overdrive 250 pedal. Sells new for $40. Thicken up your sound a bit with mild overdrive.

Used BOSS Pedals can be had under $40, I'd recommend either chorus or flanger for something sweet and subtle.

Other than that, all the best things ARE free, with technique you can do SO much.
  8. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Just get a cheap Korg Tuner, one of those silver ones. Then save up some more for the DOD overdrive mentioned above.
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Digitech Bass Synth Wah. Distortion + Envelope Filter + Octaver.

Sells new for 80, or 60 if you send in the current rebate. Used, they're probably around 40.
  10. I can help you with tuning...

see the G sounds like "DOOOOOOOOOOO!"
    and the D sounds like "BAAAAAHHHHHHM!"
    The A goes a little sumtin like "LAAAAAAAAAA!!"
    and the E sounds like "BOAOAOAOAOAM"

See how easy that was? Your welcome, enjoy your stay at the TB suites. :D
  11. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I agree with Tplyons. Not only is the DOD 250 preamp/overdrive a \m\n inexpensive pedal but it is also a great pedal.
  12. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I know a good right hand distortion technique. Overload your cab so it gets distorted :p.. turn up the volume with your right hand.
  13. Wow, I could tune my bass to that...
  14. neo_loverboy

Jul 9, 2004
    wow! i never realized my simple lil message would end up with such a variety of replies!! lolz!

ear tuning? well.. i think iam getting there. but i do need a perfectly tuned bass to practice with rt?

thanks guys..

ps: dooooo baaaaam ...what the!!!! :) ;)