1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help save a marriage...Seeking Headphones!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Oddly, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    My long-suffering wife is recovering from the flu. An unfortunate development is she's now snoring like some sort of old tractor engine badly in need of servicing.
    I've suggested she sleep in a sleeping bag in the attic but she doesn't seem keen on that.:)

I am therefore seeking a good pair of noise-cancelling headphones to wear as I sleep.
    Ideally I want them wireless, in-ear, and not leaking noise either.
    I do not want the ones incorporated into a headband.
    Cost is irrelevant as no matter how expensive they are, they'll be cheaper than a divorce or fighting a manslaughter charge.

Help a guy out, eh?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    TOOL460002 and Lobster11 like this.
  2. Using your wife's suffering to justify new phones....

...Genius! ;)

Seriously, hope she gets feeling better soon.

IDK... Can you have noise cancelling ear buds? Is that physically possible?
    Good luck to both of you.
    Who gets the 30" ("Children's") Bass in the divorce?

Low84, BadJazz, Lobster11 and 2 others like this.
  3. RNG1

RNG1

Mar 1, 2015
    Don’t have any recommendations for the headphones but you could do the gentlemenly thing given she’s not feeling well and sleep in the attic yourself. It might keep you from getting sick also.
    That’s what I did and it’s been a year and a half and I’m still sleeping up there...

Good luck and I hope she feels better. If it’s that damn flu bug, I had that a month ago and it took a solid 2 weeks to feel normal again.

Stumbo, DirtDog, Oddly and 1 other person like this.
  4. Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    It's cold in the attic, dammit.
    Also I got my flu shots so I should be safe.
    I do stay up as late as I can...3 or 4am, so that helps.

Aberdumbie and Stumbo like this.
  5. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    This year's flu shot evidently missed the particular one that's making the rounds, so limit your belief in your immunity.

Sleeping in the attic/basement/guest room/hotel or on the couch would be the stock approach - for you as the more healthy person.

No help on the techno-gadgets, but a 25 cent pair of 33 dB foam earplugs might help, but less than sleeping elsewhere until health returns.

A brief search seems to indicate that your desired feature set matches poorly with what's actually available now. There's a Sony noise-cancelling wireless no-headband option, but with poor noise cancellation and short (3 hour) battery life. The top-rated by most places Bose wireless option has a neck band with short wires.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Trouztrouz, Stumbo and Oddly like this.
  6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Alternatively, maybe you can find a set of noise-cancelling facephones for her. :woot:

7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Drug store ear plugs have been doing the trick for me for 25 years. No need for anything fancy or expensive.

And that's so I don't hear MYSELF snoring! I also have alternative sleeping arrangements in the event of my wife or I being sick. Right now we both are and she's holed up in the main bedroom and I'm sequestered to the spare room in the man cave.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  9. Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Thanks for the tips. Sadly extra pillows won't work as she says she can't get to sleep with them.
    She does use a Vicks Sinus Spray which helps initially.

Stumbo, that linked product looks good but I really want something that plays music...

10. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Is finding someone else to sleep with out of the question?

Gazman, sissy kathy, BadJazz and 2 others like this.
  11. Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Brilliant! Now you've got her worried...or possibly intrigued. She asks did you mean me or her?

sissy kathy and Aberdumbie like this.
  12. As they do just about every year. Because this year's flu shot is based on last year's viruses.

13. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Intrigued is the correct answer, and it works both ways.

Aberdumbie likes this.
  14. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    My understanding is that this year's flu shot (or at least most of them, if there are different ones available) actually does include the right strain; the problem is that this particular strain is an especially difficult one to prevent; the shot only reduces your chances of contacting it by about 30%. On the plus side, though, having had the shot can reduce the severity and/or duration of your case.

My wife starting feeling ill on Tuesday. She felt sick enough to stay home for a few days, but not as sick as you'd expect to be with the a real flu, so we both assumed it was probably just a cold. However, when she saw her doctor on Friday, she learned that she did indeed have the flu. She's had a flu shot, which obviously didn't prevent her from contracting the flu but seems to have reduced the severity of her symptoms. Her doctor gave her a prescription for Tamiflu, which can help shorten the duration of the flu once you have it, and recommended that her husband also get a prescription since it also works as a preventative. I contacted my doctor and got a script for myself, which I started taking yesterday. Between my own flu shot and the Tamiflu, I'm cautiously optimistic. So far, so good....

15. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    IME, music won't block the snoring. It'll also keep you up.

The sound needs to be consistent and deep enough to block the low tones of the snorer.

16. She tried clearing out the junk, but he wouldn't sleep in the attic. :roflmao:

Oddly and Stumbo like this.
  17. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Living room couch should do the job.:thumbsup:

pcake, Oddly and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  18. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Nope, he needs to be there to comfort her.

19. Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    No. Inspired by you guys, she's sending me out to the shed tonight.
    She does thank you all for the concern...and cheering her up!

20. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Great! Give her a big sloppy kiss for me! :laugh:

Stumbo and Oddly like this.