Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help switching between Notes ( serious help )

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassAddict05, Jan 13, 2005.

1. bassAddict05

bassAddict05

Jan 1, 2005
    Seattle
    been playing pretty good now for about 6 months. Decided to learn a lil more theory. How do i know which note is going to sound good after the next? LIke is there a pattern or sometnhing? that A always soudns good with G or someting, heh, but seriously, i need to know, thanks

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    That all depends on the musical context. There are lots of patterns, but which ones to use depend on the specific circumstance and moment. In lots of cases, one note (say, your "G") will always be the most appropriate note to play after another (your "A"), in lots of other cases it will be dead wrong.

It probably seems like an easy question, huh? :)

Have a look at the top of the forum where it says basic theory links or something like that. Have a look at key signatures to begin with... that will give you a start in knowing what the musical context is, so that you can begin to answer your own question.

3. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Hi and welcome to Talkbass. :)

Your choice of notes in a song is going to depend on many factors: the style of music...what the other instruments in the band are playing...etc...

Learning theory is going to greatly help you. Learn about intervals, chords, scales, modes, etc...Listen to basslines on your CDs. Figure out why the bassist chose what note he is playing. This is where theory can help with analyzing a tune.

For example, I see in your profile you like Flea from RHCP. Take the song "Under the Bridge": He's just playing the low note E throughout the verse, right? Not doing much at all. But then gets busier in the Chorus using more notes and also using rests. Why does he do that?

It depends on the context. So I think in your situation analyzing tunes and learning theory will help you. Have patience, it will come to you...

Edit: Hah dlloyd we posted at the same time. :)

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    :)

It's always comforting when someone uses the word "context" at the same time as you