1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help: the best suited AMPEG SVT for my needs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lorenzop, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Oct 23, 2012
    Berlin
    So Id like to get into ampeg amps/cabs.

To make it easy, I cant spend more than €1000 for a head or even better head plus speaker cab. So I am looking on the used market also, but Im totally overwhealmed by choices.

The reason n.1 why I want a cab, is to record classic tones from my home studio. Do you think this is even a worthy consideration?
    I have a "large-ish" apartment but loudness will be an issue. Or is it possible to record good tones at low volume (with the help of some kind of power absorber for driving the head)??

So the question is, what might best suit this situation of mine?

Ive had colleagues tell me a AMPEG SVT would better suit Active basses than a B15.

So, between the sea of Ampegs available, ranging from those modern small combos to all the past classics, would you reccomend anything at all for me miking a cab in my home? Or would you ditch the whole idea and just stick to DI recording?

Thanks for your tips!:ninja:

2. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    DI with Ampeg modeling software or a small Ampeg combo amp that sounds good to you.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Your colleagues are nuts. I use active basses in my B-15 sometimes and they perform just as well in it as an SVT. You absolutely do not need to be loud to mic a cab for a recording and make it sound massive.

Personally, I use DI for home recording these days, but mostly because when I record I'll usually wake someone up, as my wife has an overnight job, but also because my DI is the best in the business ;) But it sounds great to mic a cab if you can and I love doing it.

4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    If your primary use is for recording, perhaps you should check out the Ampeg SVT-DI. You can use it as a DI to run direct into your recording interface, and you can also pair it with a solid state bass amp and a good cabinet of your choice for a live rig. You could also just run it into a power amp and a cab, but then you will have no EQ to tweak for different venue acoustics.

Also, if you are into such things, you can experiment with different 12AX7 tubes to change the characteristics of the SVT-DI.

One drawback: the Ampeg SVT-DI has been discontinued. You would have to locate a used one.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
  6. scottbass

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Yeah - the SVT-DI and Sansamp REDDI are both pretty pricey, aren't they? I picked up a used SVP-PRO for about $300 and used that in front of a power amp for a few years until I got tired of the hiss. Now I'm using the SVT-7PRO. Stone quiet (as far as hiss) and still as much of that SVT sound as one can get without tubes in the power amp section. :D

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sansamp REDDI?

:D

A-Designs Audio makes the REDDI, bro. But I'm right with you on the 7 Pro. Best sounding lightweight on the market if you ask me.

8. scottbass

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    My bad - of course they do.

My rapidly-aging :help: and acronym-confusing brain somehow confused the REDDI with the Sansamp BDDI (Bass Driver DI), which is also used to get SVT-sounding injection, but with exactly zero tubes and for $500 or so less than the REDDI.

I've never used a Bass Driver DI, but I assume it's very similar to the RBI, which I used to own. I would characterize it as SVT-like, but I eventually sold it in favor of several versions of the real thing.

I've also never used a REDDI, but I have used other tube DI's and have found them to be well worth the investment.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, nothing like the real thing, but Sansamp does some really cool stuff with solid state. I'm more into the VT than the BDDI, though.

10. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Oct 23, 2012
    Berlin
    Ok Thanks.
    Bur back to topic.
    Is like suggestions for a SVT or B15 head / cab within my price range.

If I dont crank them up will they still "sound good" or does one need a certain level to get the tone?

Also, how do these newer b15 compare to the older ones?

Cheers

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well the cheapest SVT's are the SVT-CL's. For a B-15, though, you would have to go used if you're looking to save money. The 70's B-15's are still pretty decent bargains.

Yes, they sound awesome at all volume levels.

Newer B-15's I haven't heard in person, but the recordings I've heard sound just like my 64 B-15N recordings.

12. Robdrone

Robdrone

Jul 27, 2012
    Lancaster, PA
    The SVT4 Pro can be recorded from the DI without a cab hooked up, and is a pretty bitchin' live head to boot. You can usually find a used one in the $700 range. However they're HEAVY.

13. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Oct 23, 2012
    Berlin
    Thanks
    So recording from DI will still give me a nice SVT sound or do I need a box to really nail the tone?

14. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Oct 23, 2012
    Berlin
    Hmmm after some research and tests I'm actually quite digging the Portaflex series. Seems to offer both vintage tones and modern ones and the cab size plus tweeter would make it perfect for home recording wouldn't you say???

15. Depends on your tonal goals. I personally prefer the 115LF over the 115HE, but others feel differently. I love my PF-500, but I prefer it even more with a non ampeg cab.

16. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    If you want the Ampeg clean tone; going straight out of the SVT DI is a great way to do it. If you want the tube overdrive/growl, you will need an all tube section (SVT CL, 2 PRO, VR, Vintage 70's head and so on) with the cab miked.

Portaflex cabinets are not very loud overall, might be a good idea. It will sound different than most of Ampeg's offerings.

17. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Before you drop big money on a bass amp, what type of recording equipment do you have?
    Trying to determine if we are putting on $2,000 tires on a 200,000 mile Toyota Celica.

18. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Oct 23, 2012
    Berlin
    Good point.
    I have a RME AIO flanked by several preamps (SPL channel one, 7th Circle Audio stuff) and a lovely old Tascam M312 mixer. Mics I have vintage ribbons and for cabs Beyer M160 and M88. Yes I like ribbons :)

I am looking to capture both "vintage" (Motown) and modern hifi tones.

Quickly - so far I'm impressed By the tones of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BrLRqcXZ5g
    And for SVT
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD5r1DDXoms and also
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMZZx1spEsg
    As well as the Portaflex, even though it's solid state and SOME people say it sounds nothing like the b15 of old.

Overall I'm a bit disappointed by ampeg sound to be hones, it seems rather characterless, also what I heard in shop trial (it was a combo).
    I much prefer that genz Benz rig above so far.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Your mobile vid links won't play on a desktop apparently.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ampeg-b-15-pf350-pf115he-recordings-802868/

A thread I made comparing a 64 B-15N to a PF350/PF115he. As you can hear, not dead-on, but pretty close.

Anyway, what are you looking for out of recording bass? Clean tones? Distortion with cranked tubes? Honestly, you should be able to get a good sound out of anything you use, but tube amps do better sounding distortion. Having said that, I've used pedals into a DI many times and it sounds good as well. Have to evaluate your tonal goals and buy with them in mind rather than just getting a B-15 because a lot of folks love them. That said, the B-15 is by far my favorite rig to mic up. Simple, not too big, sounds great.

20. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Oct 23, 2012
    Berlin
    Hi ive edited the links above.

yes clean tones. maybe a bit of tube thickening. special tube distortions I could get out of pedals.
    ideally I´d be able to get either vintage "tubbiness" or modern full spectrum and articulate but round deep lows.

I just wanna get some vibe other than boring old DI !!!!!!!!! :)